Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Takumar Review Database

Just want to point out that I am JUST starting to review the M42 Takumar database and literally on the very first lens I have found a mistake.

You have the M42 Takumar 105mm f/2.8 as being the same optical formula for the Auto-Takumar, Super Takumar, and SMC Takumar.

The points of order are as follow:

1. There were at least FOUR (4) versions of the lens as follows: Preset/Auto-Takumar/Super Takumar/SMC Takumar.

2. The Preset and Auto-Takumar lenses are NOT the same as the later Super and SMC Takumars. Specifically, the Preset and Auto-Takumars were developed out of the 3.5/135 lens and reduced by one element, yielding 4 elements in 4 groups. The Super Takumar version replaced the Auto-Takumar version in 1962 with a 5-elements/ 4-groups design which was similar to the to the 135mm but with a turned and cemented rear element.

Sorry to bash you with this, but frankly, I'd like to do a review of the Preset and the Auto, and I am thinking that you need to create a new space for these lenses. I can provide photos of each, though I have only just now gotten a copy of the Preset lens. If you care to confirm this information, you can fine it clearly stated here: Early Pentax Takumar Lenses

Please contact me if you like, as there are other ways we can go. I am pleased to help.

Respectfully,

Seaain Gray

12-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We're aware, as there's been another thread about this recently. As with a flash database, this is a "later rather than sooner" issue. If the community were more helpful, I'd gladly make any fixes promptly.

Unfortunately, the only way that could happen at this time is if you provide me with a list in this format:

-Add lens x
-Rename lens y to z
-Change description of lens y to w
and so on...

Otherwise it'll be a while, as this is a very time-consuming thing to do alone, and Ole and I don't have all the time in the world tongue

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Adam, sorry. Perhaps my tone was less than appealing. If I knew what to do to help with this I would.

I have quite a large collection of Preset and Auto Takumars, with some interesting variants and plenty of good information to back up factual accounts as well as quite a bit of material from which to draw reviews. I thought I was helping.

I'll hold off on the reviews for now since I do not know how to proceed. I would just add my 2 cents to the existing structure, but I am afraid that would simply be adding burden to an already difficult task.

Again, my apologies. I seem to have blundered into a sore spot. My bad.

Respectfully,

woof
12-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you want to post which lenses shouldn't be grouped under a single heading for all the variants, you're more than welcome to, as that would probably be more help than anything else at this point. Unfortunately, however, re-indexing the entire database from scratch would be difficult.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Adam - thanks... I think I will organize some data for you and do just that - figure out what it SHOULD be and then suggest where corrections could be done later. the delta would be the stuff that needs to be added. Happy to do it. Others have already volunteered to help.

Seaain
12-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Adam - thanks... I think I will organize some data for you and do just that - figure out what it SHOULD be and then suggest where corrections could be done later. the delta would be the stuff that needs to be added. Happy to do it. Others have already volunteered to help.

Seaain
Adam: In side-bar discussions the question was asked whether there is any particular format (.doc and tables; .xls; something else) that would make Ole this easier for you and Ole - and so that extra work is not done on either end.

Labels: rows and tuples: whatever guidance - what do you NEED?
12-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

See my example in post number 2- that format would be perfect! If any particular details need to be added to the lens entry, feel free to enclose that as well in any format. Plain text works.

Adam