Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2009, 03:18 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't embed album images

Hi,
Adam asked me to post this issue here with a screen shot. Because of the bug, I can't post a screen shot. I was trying to embed pictures from my album as I have previously, but when I try, the only result I get is "" the blank pair of IMG tags with nothing in between. If I manually paste the URL between the tags, the result is a link to the image, not the image itself.
If there's some other site where I can post the pictures and link them, that would be good, but I have embedded images previously from a site album and it worked. I've tried linking images from picasa but it doesn't work.

You can see an example of the behviour in my signature, which is supposed to contain the embedded PNG file for being a K200 owner, linked from an album.

Rob

PS I've just tried opening this post in Internet Explorer instead of Firefox but the behaviour is the same. I still don't see the signature with the image embedded in it.

Last edited by RobG; 12-21-2009 at 03:21 AM. Reason: update
12-21-2009, 03:34 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi Rob,

If you want the auto-embedding system to work, please switch to the WYSIWYG editor (found in your User CP options). I've now done this for you, and everything should work. If you get a red x after inserting the photo, that's ok- the image will still show after you submit the post.

Otherwise, you'll have to manually embed your photos by using the direct image URL.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-21-2009, 03:39 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Also, you need to be a site supporter to be able to embed images in your signature that aren't sigpic. Please use the sigpic functionality to place a tag in your signature instead- I've done this for you for the k200 tag.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-21-2009, 04:26 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you want the auto-embedding system to work, please switch to the WYSIWYG editor (found in your User CP options). I've now done this for you, and everything should work. If you get a red x after inserting the photo, that's ok- the image will still show after you submit the post.
Otherwise, you'll have to manually embed your photos by using the direct image URL.
Hi Adam,

If you check my original post, you'll see that I tried both the WYSIWYG editor and pasting the URL directly between the IMG tags. Neither method works. Since you updated my account settings, the signature image works (thanks) but I still can't embed an image in the body of a post. If I do so in the WYSIWYG editor it now displays a broken image graphic when in editing mode (presumably because it's trying to display a pair of IMG tags with nothing between) and the preview shows no image.

So - using the link in the WYSIWYG editor to navigate to an image in an album doesn't work (but did a couple of days ago) and pasting the URL of an image doesn't work either. If you look at my posting history you should see other articles I posted more than a couple of days ago which have embedded images.

I can't demonstrate the bug to you or show you a screen shot because I can't embed an image! About the only thing I can do is upload a screenshot to an album and insert a link to the image here (as opposed to embedding it).
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/robg-albums-general-picture988-embed-bug.jpg

Regards,
Rob

Last edited by RobG; 12-21-2009 at 04:32 AM. Reason: inserted URL
12-21-2009, 06:07 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you switch to 'linked thumbnail only', embed that, then delete it, switch back to 'original image', and insert it, it should work. Since the system is javascript heavy, this problem is heavily client-related and does occur in firefox 3.5.

If you still can't embed photos using the system (which you should be able to if you play around with it as I said above), simply embed the photo using traditional methods, as you would for off-site images. At least that's foolproof!
12-22-2009, 03:50 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you switch to 'linked thumbnail only', embed that, then delete it, switch back to 'original image', and insert it, it should work. Since the system is javascript heavy, this problem is heavily client-related and does occur in firefox 3.5.
OK, adding the image, removing it, then reinserting it works, but I don't understand why it worked normally before and doesn't now. Having to insert every image twice is a pain.

QuoteQuote:
If you still can't embed photos using the system (which you should be able to if you play around with it as I said above), simply embed the photo using traditional methods, as you would for off-site images. At least that's foolproof!
Actually no, embedding an image by manually typing the tags and inserting the URL doesn't work.

Rob
12-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

As I said earlier, it's all about browser compatibility. The JS will eventually be patched for browser compatibility.

Here's a random album photo (obviously don't try to embed something from a private album!):

Adam