Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Create separate politcal subforum

I know there's an option to block General Talk from showing on my list of forums, but I feel that this too "global."

Having an Off Topic forum is a good way to get to know people and learn about things other than photography. I realize this was discussed in the past...in my opinion, it needs to be done.

Clicking into threads that were not politics-based...just to see them derailed into "Obama is Hitler" and "Blame Bush" on the first or second page is unacceptable to me.

I avoid the politics threads in GT. I'd have to click the Report button in almost every thread (which appears to now be against the rules unless I post in it? ).

So there's my proposal. Separate the BS, narrow-minded, too-personal, bash-and-flame threads from the legitimate topics and make GT usable again. Delete/moderate/move any politically-charged posts made outside the Politics and Religion forum. I don't like censorship, but I think it would make GT way more pleasant. The people who want to participate can be relegated in their own forum; enter at your own risk.

Those who enjoy Off Topic stuff shouldn't be encouraged/forced to not participate in GT if we don't like some of the content.

12-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's been suggested before Ryan.
See here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/site-suggestions-forum-help/76593-how-abo...nly-forum.html

And a slightly more heated debate on the prospect from post #143 onwards here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/75950-nobel-prize-8.html
12-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ahh...I don't really frequent this subforum My mind was spinning to make the thoughts into words...I should have searched...

I stayed well away from the Nobel thread lol...

I do appreciate the improved "blocking" power of the Ignore List as referenced by Adam...except when that person's comment gets quoted and/or sparks a thread jacking...
12-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed Ryan.
The Ignore option can only do so much.
No GT unfortunately also means no other light-hearted threads or that announcing the arrival of new Pentaxians.

12-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
Damn Brit

There are also new guidelines in place for Political and Religious threads to allow the soap boxers to get their exercise but at the same time to minimise the disturbance to others.

BUT, members are expected to be mature about things, if you don't like something, please don't be a rubbernecker and then complain about what you've just deliberately looked at.
12-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I know there's an option to block General Talk from showing on my list of forums, but I feel that this too "global."
This is really not a tough decision for Adam and the Mods. On the one hand - "Oh, please. If you have to argue politics go in the other room and keep your voices down." "Yes, mother." - will be heard a lot Thursday evening. It would be so easy as a Forum cordon off conversations we think most users or a few vocal and powerful users don't like to hear (see).

On the other hand - I blocked GT something like the second day I could. Taking my own intiaitive I designed my own information flow to suit my preferences.

Now my "Today's Posts" search shows about 40% photo threads, 30% questions or polls about gear or "How To," and 20% Pentax Rumors about what year, decade (Century) Pentax will have a FF DSLR, what new lenses, etc. () and 10% Beginner's Corner and Welcome stuff. Arguments are limited to the perennial crop effect on DoF, whether crop sensors alter focal length and whether Pentax has a future.

Sort of like a photography forum.

I guess I miss some of the humorous DB and JGRedline stuff, but then I don't know what I'm missing so I don't really miss it. Leave things the way they are.

FWIW, I still see the "New Member" 1st Post threads.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-22-2009 at 09:05 AM.
12-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

instead of a new forum for politics why not just make a new tag similiar to what happens in the post your photo section and it its a tag you are not intrested in do not open the thread. I dont open lots of threads on the boards but I dont think they should be isolated or banned because the topic doesnt intrest me. I dont think that the politcs threads have gotten too out of hand a simple comment from a Mod tends to cool things down in the threads if they do start to get out of control.

12-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

IMO the new system is working quite nicely, so no changes will be made at this time as far as forum structure goes. If you want to avoid political threads, just don't click on them- it's that simple. Usually you can tell my the ridiculous titles and excessive number of replies

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I stay away from the "properly" titled threads...that's not a problem.

My main issue is derailment of threads...making them political when there's no point...then not being able to report a "stray" post per the rules.

Hmm, what's in my New Posts...

Shooting safely in the streets -> guns/gun control https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/83741-tips-walking-streets-alone.html
Photo retouching disclosure -> which President better upheld the Constitution https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/84028-did-you-hear-no-processing.html
Snow -> global warming https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/84131-eastern-usa-snow-storm.html
Relative prices of liquids -> well, only 1 BS post so far but it's a young thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/84195-relative-prices-different-liquids.html

I don't mind ignoring people...actually, it's quite awesome to ignore the GT-only people since they don't post elsewhere so it's not like I'm missing anything useful

If the answer is "no" to a separate subforum, then what can be done about references to "lefty's controlling prices" or "Faux News indoctrination" in threads that should have no political vector whatsoever? And...the "taking of the bait" by others which just continues the conversation?

It's getting to the point where I need to put everyone on my Ignore list, just so I don't have to see their rebuttals to baits/traps/wayward references.
12-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If someone drives a thread off-topic, then that is reportable per the general website rules. Please do so and we'll try to purify said threads before they become hijacked.

Again, I earlier considered a comprehensive system that would allow you to ignore threads individually, but turned out to be more harmful than beneficial, so it was dropped.

This is a Pentax forum, not a political forum. The mere presence of a political section would be hurtful to SEO.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Just curious...how would a separate subforum mess with your SEO? I have no clue how that stuff works...
12-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Google has a certain quota of content they will index per crawl, so you want to keep the ratio of worthless content to worthy content as low as possible. Cleaning up HTML code and removing redundant post elements also helps with this. Thus, I've removed this forum as well as the site news forum from public view, removed the thread view column from public view, and removed the quick style selector for guests. All these little things add up to make a huge difference- and the fact that we have over 1,000 members on right now proves that

Adam

12-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm...I searched "Pentax FF 2010" and the first results were from the N&R forum here...

Errr maybe that's not what you meant...
12-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Site news, not pentax news.

The rumors forum is perhaps our #1 source of burst search engine traffic!

Adam

12-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I also wish there was a politics/religion/lifestyle subforum to the General Talk forum...

I've actually reduced my visits to that forum considerably and barely post there anymore since more than half the threads are politics.

Just my 2 cents...

Pat