Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote
My only complaint is that the new format does not work properly on my netbook. Even on the main forum page, I have to scroll to the right to see the whole page.

My res is 1024 x 600.
This should now be corrected.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote
My res is 1024 x 600.
WHat are you using, a screen from 1987?
12-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Please don't flame... this is a brand new netbook. It's a small device designed mainly for viewing forums like this!

Hi Adam, The problem is still occuring. I've attached a screenprint for you to see. Thanks for looking into this for me. It's not the end of the world, just an inconvinience...
Attached Images

12-28-2009, 07:15 AM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
If you donate, it'll fit your screen

Forgot about that detail, but the width is based on the number of buttons. I'll see if any other buttons can be hidden- perhaps the marketplace button for non site-supporters.

12-28-2009, 02:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you donate, it'll fit your screen
Wow, do you work for Microsoft?

My only concern is that my horizontal resolution isn't that uncommon. Maybe amongst photogs bigger screens are the defacto standard, but new users may be offput.

BTW I'm a UI designer by trade. If you need to bounce any ideas off me, feel free.. Not that you really need to, the UI is pretty good on this site!

If you want some advice for trimming the toolbar, I'd make a bottom toolbar and move the donate button there (on the right). Users subconciously scan a site from top-left to bottom-right so they see logo, content then 'DONATE'! If the user donates, the bar disappears and they free up some screen real estate.
12-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'll get rid of the marketplace menu when I get time. The lower navbar is never accessed, so we won't be putting anything there.

Users of 1024px screens (and below) constitute less than 10% of our site traffic.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'll get rid of the marketplace menu when I get time. The lower navbar is never accessed, so we won't be putting anything there.

Users of 1024px screens (and below) constitute less than 10% of our site traffic.
Adam,

I have never done a skin for one of these boards but would it be too time consuming to create a set of slightly smaller button images/icons that the pages default to based on a query of the client screen resolution? Being a graphically challenged developer I always farmed out such work so I honestly don't know because to me, graphic design is akin to magic. But that sort of thing might save the day.

If detecting client screen resolution is still as problematic as once upon a time, maybe there could be a setting in the user profile with a list of standard values as well as auto-detect or something similar as the default for those of us who have more than enough. Perhaps this might be easier to implement than scaled icon images with automagic detection.

Anyway, just spit-balling something that came to mind.

12-30-2009, 01:40 AM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
This is why the "Simple Skin" uses no buttons, and only text links :P

I'll just remove the marketplace button for non-site-supporters that are logged in, when I have the time.

Adam