Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2009, 12:31 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Attached pics vs External link pics

When we attach the pictures in site IQ degrades comparing to attached pictures from an external link, my sample is at below link, that happened in one of my competition pictures too. I couldn't figure that out at that time.

Is there a reason for that? Middle picture (with WD-40 bottle) is reposted with an external link in the next message. You can see the difference.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/84345-there-1-5-se...tml#post858846

12-27-2009, 02:11 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Forum's JPEG compression algorithm significantly degrades image quality above its upper limit (for dimensions and image size) for web viewing. Gallery and Album images below this threshold should remain untouched and OK to link without worrying about loss of quality.

Otherwise, it's just better to link from a better photo hosting site.
12-27-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you attach anything above either dimension limit (900x600), it will automatically be resized and compressed to 75% to a. fit the limit and b. save disk space.

The nice thing about attachments is that they'll always be there- come back in 5 years and your photos will still be present

But if you do not want any compression at all, please use the albums, or, even better, the gallery, as it has no dimension limits.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, it's good to know.

But I have one more question, I tried to post images here I've mentioned above, but upload manager rejected as I've already uploaded image in a different thread, I tried to give the images link (with view image command on firefox) I've typed the images (not the threads) html link but it image didn't show up in the message.

So how do we get around this? How do we show the picture in a thread we had already uploaded it in another thread?

Thanks in advance.

12-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Ok, as I feared this is a side-effect of having things look nice. I will make it so that you can re-insert attachments from other threads using the photo insertion popup.

Activating this is a mere setting, but I don't know if I'll be able to get to it from my BB. This issue may have to wait.

You can always manually link to the image if you fetch the correct url.
12-27-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

K, I think I pulled it off. Try the popup, select attachments from the dropdown, and insert your old attachment from the other thread.
12-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, I've cleared cache but I still don't see an additional option it in the "attachments" pop-up window.

12-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Its not that popup you'll want to use. Use the one that inserts gallery and album photos, accessible from below the smilie box, or from the camera-shaped icon if using quick reply.
12-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Nope, icon attached below just inserts a link and picture doesn't show up (under smilie box as you stated) , my question was if I can insert picture from another threads pictures. Like the picture I ve given link below will show up here, not just the link. This way I was gonna able to use same uploaded picture (in a thread, not gallery or album), at different threads too.

Thanks much for the efforts Adam, and Merry Christmas and a new year to you and all.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/pentax-dslr-discussion/50231d...-cola-flek-jpg
Attached Images

Last edited by cbaytan; 12-27-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: add info
12-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Wrong icon. Use the one that looks like a camera! (Should be to the right of the link icon).

Please refer to the announcement about the addition of this popup if you were unaware of it. It's a few weeks old and should be in the news forum.
12-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Duh! There is an icon in the very right of that wrong icon, says "remove link" icon
Attached Images

12-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Now I'm confused, but yes, that one would remove the link.

If you get the popup working, let me know. If not, I'll be able to offer more help once I get to a PC.
12-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Camera icon shows up only in quick reply, and that only allows re-posting from gallery or album, not thread pictures.
12-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There should now also be your attachments listed in the dropdown.

If not, I may have made a typo (literally) while changing the settings. Should that be the case, we'll have to wait till I'm off the road
12-27-2009, 01:32 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Nothing changed AFAI can see, have a good trip, drive carefully, we need you.