Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW (always a process and structure geek), I established a FOLDER in my Subscribed Threads in my User Control Panel and moved all the Club threads into the folder. I can get to all the clubs threads at one time by opening the "Lens Clubs" folder, although it takes a few clicks.

01-06-2010, 08:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Agree with you Gus! A separate subforum would clear up things a little. I like these clubs, for the same reason as you: they made me buying some good lenses . But for the sake of overview, I'd rather have them apart together !
+1 I find it hard to wade through these gallery threads for discussions of the pros and cons specific lenses.
01-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
The upside of the clubs: the ones that make it are sources of inspiration, enthusiasm, and plain fun.
The downside: often good info ends up buried on page 28 of 200. I'd prefer the real lens specific info in its own lens specific thread, easily searchable. But then, sometimes the info on a particular lens only comes out naturally in the context of a club.
Very good points.
01-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree 100%.
Hey Gus - Mason jar & extension tube ? Would that really work? Interesting effects?

01-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Warning: this may be a rant

I agree with most of the comments here, there are a lot of clubs, with a lot of good points, and litterally hundreds of posts, with great reviews and data about different lenses.

I have to ask myself WHY are there so few lens reviews?

I was one of the proponents of the third party lens database, and have tried to keep up with reviews for each lens as I had aquired it, but there are lots of forum members that don't, yet they put the same info into the club.

This does not mean that the clubs could be redundant, if people filled out reviews, because there are lots of things that go into the clubs that don't belong in reviews, but that does not mean we should not post the relevant info into the database.

But I will get off the soap box now, and get back to the main issue at hand. where to put the club threads?

they need to some how to be separate from the lens forum, or as a sub forum of it perhaps.

that's my 2 cents worth
01-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #21
Igilligan

Let me 'Review' your rant

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I agree with most of the comments here, there are a lot of clubs, with a lot of good points, and litterally hundreds of posts, with great reviews and data about different lenses.

I have to ask myself WHY are there so few lens reviews?

I was one of the proponents of the third party lens database, and have tried to keep up with reviews for each lens as I had aquired it, but there are lots of forum members that don't, yet they put the same info into the club.

This does not mean that the clubs could be redundant, if people filled out reviews, because there are lots of things that go into the clubs that don't belong in reviews, but that does not mean we should not post the relevant info into the database.

But I will get off the soap box now, and get back to the main issue at hand. where to put the club threads?

they need to some how to be separate from the lens forum, or as a sub forum of it perhaps.

that's my 2 cents worth
For me the joy of buying these old lenses and shooting with them is to find a diamond in the rough. It is very easy for a simpleton like myself to post a bunch of photos in a "club" thread that show what I like about a lens... even talk about it a bit.
Sadly english is my first language, but I do not have command of it... I got too much Okiespeak cloudin' up my tongue.

But the main reason I have not done lens Reviews is that I just don't think of myself as technically qualified enough. "I really like this lens" or "I like it better than _____ lens" is not a review.

My guess is there are many folks who do not think of themselves as a reviewer, but would happily post the photos they like from a lens in a "Club" thread, and go on and on about why they like it.
01-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Placing the clubs in their own area would be fine with me....and I agree that we should all pay a little more attention to the lens review database.

I'm glad that most of the comments in this thread are pro clubs....they are one of the most active sections on this site for a reason. They spark discussion and conversation in a way that individual disjointed threads can't. While they might be specific to a certain group of lenses, they house everything from pictures to opinion to advice. You typically get to know a few of the individuals that have the same interests as you and it is perfectly acceptable to chat (on topic) within the thread.

Perhaps they warrant their own section. One question though....what about the other clubs? The "post your photos" clubs for example (street, monochrome landscape, urban decay, film cameras, etc)? Do they go in the same area too?

Steve

01-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #23
Site Supporter

I don't have a problem with there being a lens club forum. I don't think new "lens clubs" should be banned out right. Perhaps, there could be a "committee" to approve new clubs.
01-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #24
Veteran Member

If you're going to go ahead and re-organize this into a sub-forum, maybe it would be a good idea to have two, one for only pentax lens clubs, and the second for other lenses or other variables.

(I'm being partially sarcastic, here, but I think that improving organization is usually a good idea.)
01-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I actually think that the way everything is set up right now is fine- after all, the lens club threads are getting a LOT of attention!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I actually think that the way everything is set up right now is fine- after all, the lens club threads are getting a LOT of attention!

I agree with you, If it wasn't for the Lens Clubs my wife would have no reason to slap me in the back of the head everytime a package come's to the house.
I know I have bought at least 4 lenses from looking at the photo's in the Lens Clubs.
01-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
If you're going to go ahead and re-organize this into a sub-forum, maybe it would be a good idea to have two, one for only pentax lens clubs, and the second for other lenses or other variables.

(I'm being partially sarcastic, here, but I think that improving organization is usually a good idea.)
but what do you do with the nifty fifties club, it spans both?
01-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #28
Site Supporter

You get to join more clubs! bigthumbsup
01-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I guess the only concern is that from time to time, they do fall off the bottom of the first page

Other than that, at least the present way is better than making them all stickies because that would fill the first page
01-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #30
Veteran Member

That would be part of the second subforum. The first is dedicated to pentax lenses ONLY (like the lens review section).
Closed Thread