Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2010, 06:20 AM   #1
Forum Member

Marketplace: possible scam?

Sorry if this is written out somewhere (I have an awful slow internet connection at the moment) but if a seller is unresponsive/inactive for two weeks directly following a sale, should I alert admins here, and if so, how?

Best,
Michael

02-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #2

Did you receive your item yet?
Is there anything wrong with it?
02-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have not received it, nor any shipping confirmation/information.
02-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mhoy Quote
Sorry if this is written out somewhere (I have an awful slow internet connection at the moment) but if a seller is unresponsive/inactive for two weeks directly following a sale, should I alert admins here, and if so, how?

Best,
Michael
I'm assuming you paid and that's the last you heard from the seller? That's bad news - might be a scam, or just something bad happened in the sellers life and they can't get to (or forgot to get to) the internet. Have you tried all available means to contact the seller? Some people have an email link in their profile so you can email them directly in case they don't check their private messages.

I'm assuming you already tried to contact 'em with no success - I would by all means let Adam know (the site Admin - you can contact him by PM, and his account name is simply "Adam") or one of the moderators, they might be able to help contact the seller, or may want to take action on the sellers account (I don't really know how this is handled). If you paid by paypal, now might be the time to open a claim with them too.

02-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Damn Brit

Sorry to hear this has happened, please report it. Go to the For Sale thread in question and click on the Report Post button in the first post.
02-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I should clarify: I'm not sure whether this is a scam or not. The seller might just be unreachable, and forgot to PM me back about shipping (though he said he would do). The seller's "last activity" info in Pentaxforums reads today, but I'm wondering if that might be some glitch in the forums; he hasn't posted for two weeks. Anyway, I figured alerting the admin would be helpful if this *is* a scam, and potentially other people are involved.

Thanks for the help.
02-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by mhoy Quote
I should clarify: I'm not sure whether this is a scam or not. The seller might just be unreachable, and forgot to PM me back about shipping (though he said he would do). The seller's "last activity" info in Pentaxforums reads today, but I'm wondering if that might be some glitch in the forums; he hasn't posted for two weeks. Anyway, I figured alerting the admin would be helpful if this *is* a scam, and potentially other people are involved.

Thanks for the help.

I've sent you a PM.
This is for everyones benefit because it is something you neglected to do in this case.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PURCHASING AN ITEM, DON'T JUST PM THE SELLER, POST IN THE THREAD THAT YOU HAVE SENT THEM A PM. NOT ONLY DOES THIS PRODUCE A VISIBLE VIRTUAL PAPER TRAIL, IT LETS OTHER POTENTIAL BUYERS KNOW WHERE THEY ARE IN LINE.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 02-05-2010 at 02:16 PM.
02-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've sent you a PM, and I'm kicking myself.

02-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #9

Also, for Paypal, send money for purchase of goods, and not personal funds. Or ask for an invoice through Paypal. Yes, the seller avoids the fees, but someone should be paying the convenience fee for using Paypal in the first place.

I may be in a similar situation.
02-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mulanrouge Quote
Also, for Paypal, send money for purchase of goods, and not personal funds. Or ask for an invoice through Paypal. Yes, the seller avoids the fees, but someone should be paying the convenience fee for using Paypal in the first place.

I may be in a similar situation.
I agree with this to some degree. However, if I know someone and/or have dealt with them in the past, I don't have a problem with personal funds either direction. As far as the convenience fee, PayPal gets enough out of me over the haul and I don't get to sit on those board meeting when they set the rates. Furthermore, our options are limited and PayPal has damn near a monopoly in this regards. PayPal and Ebay get plenty out of me overtime. Furthermore, PayPal allows some transfer of funds through the personal thing because they created it.

If its people that aren't familiar with one another, I agree with you.
02-06-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

This is a Canadian USA shipping situation. It is very slow no matter how you do it. I've shipped Air priority and had it take 4 weeks. It's security at customs. canada post will get it there in 2-3 days, then it sits there for ages and then USPS delivers it in 2-3 days after that.
I can ship Air to almost anywhere in the world fast than to the USA. Thanks to 911

But the seller should communicate.
02-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
This is a Canadian USA shipping situation. It is very slow no matter how you do it. I've shipped Air priority and had it take 4 weeks. It's security at customs. canada post will get it there in 2-3 days, then it sits there for ages and then USPS delivers it in 2-3 days after that.
I can ship Air to almost anywhere in the world fast than to the USA. Thanks to 911

But the seller should communicate.
Good point - I bought a lens from Canada and it took about five weeks to get to me.
02-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Update: the seller finally got back to me, and has now shipped the item, albeit two weeks late (he did thoughtfully upgrade my shipping to expedited). I'm not sure exactly what came up, but I don't think it was anything malicious on his part, just unfortunate circumstance, and a little forgetfulness.

Peter: this is indeed from Canada, to the US, but it is not a shipping situation. (It shipped yesterday.)

Thanks all.
02-07-2010, 12:54 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm glad to hear everything worked out, and that the site staff was successfully able to assist you with this.

I'm also happy to say that we're keeping the 100% scam-free Marketplace streak going! This thread is closed, but feel free to open a new one should you need anything else

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

Closed Thread