Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Country

Why am I forced to 'confess' to a Country?

Some time ago I got an e-mail stating that I needn't bother if I didn't use the market place. Well, I don't. I'm done buying - really :ugh:.
And as for selling: as long as I have my job, that isn't going to happen.
Today, however, I was forced to fill out the country nevertheless before I could continue to the site.

Coming from a part of the world that has seen its share of the ugliness nationalism can induce, I would have hoped this community could supper-seed the notion of countries.

As for use in the market place, I don't get it: what could be interesting is the location of the item being sold rather than the country of the seller. That can have a bearing on having to add Import duties and VAT in some parts of the world. That I get.
It should be doable to add this 'location of the item' as a required field in the for sale form?
Anyway, this 'country' thing doesn't work: the other day, I saw a listing from a member residing in the UK but his "flag" was not of GB but rather his country of origin or so I presume. So I would expect to receive the goods from that country but instead they would arrive from the UK.

Now that I stated my concern, the decision is up to Adam of course.

02-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The new requirement (i.e. removal of the 'The World' option) is to help facilitate new Marketplace functionality, as you said. In the new future, item country will be displayed directly beside each item listed (in the forum view), so that it's easier for people to skip sales they aren't interested in. Previous attempts of including item location in the thread preview text wasn't much appreciated.

Instead of having a country dropdown there, we're just going to use the global option, as it's a lot easier to implement. If this were some sort of private information then we'd take a much more conservative approach, but since your country is no secret to any site you visit on the internet, I figured users wouldn't throw a fit. One compromise I'm willing to consider is to allow continents in the Country dropdown, however. Not sure if this would make much of a difference or not.

Modification of the item listing form to accomplish this would be possible, although any information entered there can't be used globally in the forum thread listings. At best, we'll think of a different approach should an overhaul be done in the future.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

My only concern currently are any discrepancies there may be between item location and seller country, although these should be few and far between, and can be backed up by the item location field if needed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No fit here, Adam. Just some concern and like I said: it's your decision.