Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Writing a How-To

If I wanted to write a How-To for something in the hopes that it becomes a sticky in the Beginner's Corner, where would I post it? I think the How To I have in mind would be better suited there than in the Articles section because more beginners would see it right away. But I want other members to contribute and help fine-tune it before it becomes a sticky.

The How-To I have in mind is a simple series of exercises for learning the effects of the exposure triad on the resulting image. I see a lot of frequent questions in the Beginner's Corner from people who are trying to come to grips with their K-x's manual modes (Av, Tv, etc) and are clearly going about it the wrong way.

There are lots of threads and articles about exposure, but none of them seem to offer instructions on how best to go about experimenting. Just as an example, there's one user right now who was using Av mode with the flash on and couldn't figure out why EV compensation wasn't making his pictures brighter.

02-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you post it in the beginners' section I can stick it, and then copy it over to the articles section once it's finished.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
erm... it's getting too big

I started typing a couple days ago, and my simple how-to became a series of easy and simple exercises. I've got an introduction, 5 exercises covering M mode (shutter speed, aperture and ISO), Av mode and Tv mode, plus a planned conclusion. So far, with most of it written, I've got 6800 words (14 typed pages). I'm expecting another 6 pages to finish it off, and I have yet to add all the pictures that go along with it. Those might add another 5 pages.

I've practically written a book I don't think this will work very well as a forum post after all. it's annoying, because I really felt it would be of great benefit in the Beginner's Q & A section.
02-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Why don't you split this up into multiple sections and post it as separate articles, or as a PDF?

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Why don't you split this up into multiple sections and post it as separate articles, or as a PDF?
I'm considering that. The exercises kinda build upon each other successively. Initially I was considering having each exercise be a separate post within the same thread. Now I'm not so sure even that's feasible.

I'm really happy with the way it's turning out though, I think it could be a very useful teaching tool for people looking to get the most out of their consumer-level SLR.
02-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That could work, or, you could have a "next thread" link at the bottom of each post!

Adam