Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bold Threads with New Posts Have Wrong 'Last Post' Times

This is a bug I've noticed for a couple of weeks now. There is a bug in all of the forums, but most notably the "SLR Lens Discussion Forum" as that's where I spend a lot of time, where in subforum page with all the thread titles and links, it will show threads in order of the last post. But, the last post is often at the wrong time in this subforum page compared to when it was really posted. See pictures I took a few days ago:

This shows that the last post in "Poll: What is your dream lens" was by Blue at "Today at 4:03 AM". However, this is not actually the case. This next screenshot was taken just seconds after the one above, and shows the true posting time of the most recent post:

As you can see, the actual posting time of that post was "Yesterday at 9:14 PM". Many, many hours difference. This error also has the unwanted side effect of bumping threads to the top of the page, by manipulating what their most recent post time was. In this way, it can even put threads from many pages back right up to the front page, and make it look like there was a recent post in there.

Any idea what the problem is? I hope my explanation was clear. It happens all the time, and is currently happening in that forum, and probably other ones as well.

02-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not a bug, but rather an intended behavior by design. Perhaps it's a bit unconventional, but poll threads are automatically bumped whenever a new vote is made.
02-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's not a bug, but rather an intended behavior by design. Perhaps it's a bit unconventional, but poll threads are automatically bumped whenever a new vote is made.
Thanks for that information, it's news to me. It certainly is unconventional, but I can see its use. However, I would still call it a "bug" that it says the last post was made at a certain time. Can't there be a separate notification that there's a new vote in the poll?
02-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That would be overkill! The way it works here is that there's a switch, and you can either have it update the last post time, or not update anything at all.

02-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That would be overkill! The way it works here is that there's a switch, and you can either have it update the last post time, or not update anything at all.
Shucks. Okay Adam, thanks for the clarification. At least it won't drive me crazy anymore
02-09-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I figured the way it is right now (the change to the last post system was made late last year) will allow threads with pointless poll to get a little more love

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've removed that entry; looks like someone was clueless when submitting a lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: