Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2010, 03:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Language in Camera Reviews

I've had two people at work ask me about buying DSLRs, recently: one bought a K-7 because he liked my K20D so much (lucky lad!).

When the other asked about entry level DSLRs, I suggested having a look at the K-x, so I thought I'd help by showing him the Camera Reviews section in this Forum. When I saw the description of the "crippled KAF2" mount in the lead entry, I quickly scrolled down to avoid having to explain the use of the term.

Other people will see this site, so why do we sanction the use of a derogatory term in what is otherwise a factual specification of every Pentax DSLR? I know this is a sore point with some people who participate in this Forum, but they surely have to concede that calling the KAF mounts "crippled" is just an opinion, and not a fact.

I think we sometimes do ourselves no favours with this sort of behaviour. Raising a doubt in the minds of people thinking about buying a DSLR or converting to Pentax doesn't do the brand any good, and ultimately can sway people against it. At the best, they might think we're a strange bunch for acting in this way, and who could blame them?

I'm not suggesting that people shouldn't vent their feelings about a change to the K mount that they don't like (it did happen a fairly long time ago, now, just the same, and it's unlikely to revert), but in what should be a place where only objective, balanced comment is allowed, I really think the author should reconsider the entries and amend them simply to "KAF" and "KAF2".

02-10-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are crippled, though :P

While I don't think this would steer anyone away, since other major brand don't produce lenses with aperture rings anymore, I'd be down to consider a re-wording somehow. Perhaps 'KAF2 (with aperture ring sensor)' and just KAF2, so that things appear in a more positive light.

Either way, this isn't going to happen overnight, as the only worthwhile way to make the change would directy through MySQL via command line.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

The term Crippled KAF2 mount was already commonly used also outside of PentaxForums and well before the Camera database was created. I guess the term was invented as a hint to Pentax that we want our cameras to have a full KAF2 mount and thus full Av and M exposure modes for M and K lenses (rather than the green button hack). However, we're obviously not getting the full KAF2 mount back, so I'm all for coming up with a better term.

Suggestions anyone?
02-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I say we take up a collection and send an envoy to Japan to slap some people silly for coming up with this version of the KAF2 mount as well as the removal of the aperture ring.

02-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
(too bad Blue won't see this since he has me on his ignore list)

I also think the term "crippled" is a bit exaggerated. Unfortunately, it's the universally-used term for the lack of an aperture-detection lever. This can clearly be seen on the Wikipedia Pentax and Pentax Cameras pages.

To be honest, the term almost scared me away from Pentax initially. Made it seem like Pentax was deliberately killing off features to discourage people from using older lenses. Now I know better, but I can see how someone who doesn't know any better might be confused by the term.
02-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
(too bad Blue won't see this since he has me on his ignore list)

I also think the term "crippled" is a bit exaggerated. Unfortunately, it's the universally-used term for the lack of an aperture-detection lever. This can clearly be seen on the Wikipedia Pentax and Pentax Cameras pages.

To be honest, the term almost scared me away from Pentax initially. Made it seem like Pentax was deliberately killing off features to discourage people from using older lenses. Now I know better, but I can see how someone who doesn't know any better might be confused by the term.
Well even the world's internet authority on all things K-mount uses the term:

Bojidar Dimitrov's K Mount Page

Summary of the K-Mount Evolution, Names, and Features
02-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well even the world's internet authority on all things K-mount uses the term:

Bojidar Dimitrov's K Mount Page

Summary of the K-Mount Evolution, Names, and Features
It is too bad he has never updated this page. It may help people new to the system.
The link at the very bottom of the above linked page will take you to this page. iii Crippled KAF2 with some limitations.

Features and Operation of the crippled Kaf2 Mount

ii The link to Crippled KAF with severe limitations.

Features and Operation of the crippled Kaf Mount

02-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

K-Mount Lite
02-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
K-Mount Lite
I like that
02-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
K-Mount Lite
Better make that K-Mount Lite II to distinguish it from the prior boondoggle.
02-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

since "crippled" seems to be somewhat politically incorrect or embarasing, then how about another approach. and no I don;t mean replacing crippled with "challenged"

call it a KAF2-J mount since it was introduced on the FA-J lenses.

that way we can all "think" crippled with out being embarased or politically incorrect

Sadly, and pentax is as much to blame as all of us, is that they never officially distinguished the J mount from a standard KAF2 mount,

and no, J does not stand for junk

Also there is no harm is showing that we still ask for more compatibility, but you should point out that pentax already has more compatibility than both canon who have none, or nikon who only offer it on their most expensive cameras.