Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: After which time shall threads be closed for new submissions?
1 month 13.70%
2 months 13.70%
3 months 518.52%
6 months 311.11%
1 year 27.41%
1,000,000 years (the current policy) 1555.56%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, so here's what I came up with instead- am I genius or what?

Attached Images

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-11-2010, 11:54 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm glad that it is still possible to reply to an older thread. Reason I voted for the last option. Because of a lens I have, I need help on figuring something out and used an older thread I found during a search, to get that answer.
02-12-2010, 03:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Ok, so here's what I came up with instead- am I genius or what?
That's a great solution, much more than I was asking for. Maybe genius but certainly hero

Thanks a lot.

P.S.
I am not seeing any change yet (for more than a year old threads). Hope that "Quote" (besides "Quick Reply") will contain the same feature.

Last edited by falconeye; 02-12-2010 at 03:08 AM.
02-12-2010, 05:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Sometimes a thread is not really solved and a poster can post the solution (as far as this applies in this type of forums). So in my opinion a thread should never be closed for this reason.

If something is implemented, the 'timer' should be based on the date of the last post and not on the date of the opening post (so the nifty fifties don't have to worry as long as they keep on posting )

Some options as I see them for old threads (last post older than one month)
  1. disable quick reply and replace with warning (as shown by Adam)
  2. a warning in the thread title (using another colour or a message), visible in the specific forum as well as when the thread is opened.
  3. a page redirect; default the hyperlink takes one to a warning page and automatically redirect after 20 seconds to the real page
  4. any combination

WimS

02-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
That's a great solution, much more than I was asking for. Maybe genius but certainly hero

Thanks a lot.

P.S.
I am not seeing any change yet (for more than a year old threads). Hope that "Quote" (besides "Quick Reply") will contain the same feature.
The warning shows up for both quickreply and newreply. What thread are you in that's not showing the warning?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Adam,

YouRock
02-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The warning shows up for both quickreply and newreply. What thread are you in that's not showing the warning?
I checked again and now it is working.

Maybe, the thread I tried wasn't old enough although I thought I made sure it was more than a year old. Never mind.

Great work!

02-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Great solution, Adam!