Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2010, 03:03 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about a thread for abbreviation Codes?

Being a newb back into the SLR world, im finding it tough to understand some of the new jargon - some digital related, many lens related (maybe ive just forgotten)

perhaps a sticky with some common abbreviations for this forum?

im sure ill be an old hack in no time, but right now its hard to make heads or tails of some of the discussions.

02-16-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I used to have the same problem, obviously, as you have to be a beginner sometime. Good idea for a thread.

I used to visit this site and found it to be quite good. The abbreviation PF, (purple fringing), is not on that list, but it is more accurately called Chromatic Aberration.

Digital Dictionary - A Glossary of Photographic Terms

Welcome to the forum & I hope this helps.
02-16-2010, 04:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Many of the abbreviations are built into the site programming.

Things like SDM, SMC, DOF, AWB etc. See the little dotted line under the letters? Move your mouse under the abbreviation and a pop up window will put the full name. If there are others you are not understanding, post them back here on this thread and we'll see about adding them.

It works well this way because you don't have to leave whatever thread you are on to figure out the anacronym.

If you want a complete reference, then this list is quite complete: List of camera terms
02-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If any 3-letter abbreviations (or longer) are missing from our system, please post them here or shoot me and PM and I'll add them

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Another good list of camera abbreviations: The Dyxum Photographic Abbreviations List - Dyxum forums - Page 1

-JRS