Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2010, 05:25 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Minor Structural Changes

Some changes have recently been made to the forum structure:

• 'Welcomes and Introductions' is no longer visible to guests
  • 'Pentax News and Rumors' was moved to the 'Pentax Cameras' category (it was previously in 'Photography')
  • The 'Photography' category is no longer first; it was moved right below 'Pentax Cameras and Accessories'
  • The 'Previous Contest Submissions' sub-forum was removed in favor of just placing all non-winning contest submissions in the main contest forum, as non-sticky threads
  • New sub-forums with links to partner retailers were added to the Marketplace
  • 'Gatherings, Events, and Photo Trips' was renamed to 'Gatherings, Photo Trips, and Groups'
  • The link to social groups is now underneath 'Gatherings, Photo Trips, and Groups' and was renamed to 'Social Group System'
  • 'Everything Else' was renamed to 'Other Pentax-Related Topics' and is no longer a catch-all forum; warnings will be issued for threads posted in that section that otherwise have a home elsewhere
EDIT: the following changes have been added:
  • Political forum added
  • General talk no longer allows political topics
  • Gatherings, events, photo trips moved from 'off topic' to 'photography'

Hopefully these changes will improve browsability a little bit

Note that in the future, links to the user photo gallery, member photo albums, lens review database, third party review database, and accessory review database* may also be compacted under a single category to save space.

*currently under construction & coming soon!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

What about news and rumours relating to lenses?
02-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I like it. This change puts my favorite subforums in prominent locations.

Bravo.
02-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
What about news and rumours relating to lenses?
Do you mean where they would be placed? In news & rumors if course.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-23-2010, 02:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Kinda liked it when General and Noob was higher up.
02-23-2010, 02:38 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
We were seeing a much to high number of misplaced threads in general photo, hence the move.

Adam

02-23-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Political forum added
General talk no longer allows political topics
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Pat

02-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam:
# Political forum added
# General talk no longer allows political topics
This is great, Adam! Now it's possible to ignore all the flame bait political threads and still see the other, more interesting and constructive topics.

In the account settings Politics is coupled with Religion. I assume the new rules above apply to Religion too?
02-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It bugs me that the Beginner Q & A is so far down now. I try to keep abreast of it to answer those questions I'm able to, and it seems to me that it's much harder for newbies to see it way down there. They're more likely to post newbie-type questions in the wrong forum as a result. I think it would be better placed at the very top, like in "Our Pentax Forum" or something.
02-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
In the account settings Politics is coupled with Religion. I assume the new rules above apply to Religion too?
I hope not! My religion is way better than yours, and I want every opportunity to say so in General Talk! </sarcasm>
02-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I agree with GoremanX. The Beginner Q&A is one of the most important parts of this forum in my opinion. It's the very place that people ask questions to better their knowledge of pretty much everything within photography.
But I'm not complaining or anything
02-24-2010, 11:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Wow! Cool!
02-25-2010, 12:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

That's much better!
02-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
I agree with GoremanX. The Beginner Q&A is one of the most important parts of this forum in my opinion. It's the very place that people ask questions to better their knowledge of pretty much everything within photography.
Agreed. Speaking as a systems designer (past life), you want initializations and generalities on top. Photography:Newbies and Photography:GeneralPhotography should be among the the first forums seen. Then Cameras, Lenses, Galleries, Marketplace, Off-topic. This assumes that the primary goals of PentaxForums are (in order): 1) Support/Encourage Pentaxians; 2) Discuss Photography; 3) Discuss/Diagnose Hardware; 4) Show Off; and 5) Blather. Old users know where/how to find stuff on the site. New users need to see where to start, as soon as they hit the page.