Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Forum website slowed down on my PC Why?

For the past few days, when I open the Pentax Forums.com site from my home PC, it takes forever to load.
Once I get in, each page takes quite a while to load too.
My PC is not old, quite new actually - got it in November 2009 - and has lots of RAM, hard disks, fast processor , etc ....

So, I ran a series of scans:
- anti-virus ...... no viruses.
- spam and malware .... none.
- analyzed and defragmented the hard drives ... done.
- checked the internet connection (speed) with the provider ... all is fine.
- checked the wireless router at home ... all is fine there too.

When I access other websites from the home PC, all is well and running fast, as expected.
When I access PentaxForums.com from my laptop, from home or from the office, all is well and as fast as expected.
(I am presently using my laptop from the office)

I would certainly appreciate any suggestion as to what is happening and how to resolve the problem, if someone has an idea.

Cheers.

JP
When

02-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had some serious problems in reaching the site today. Sometimes the server did not respond, sometimes only the homepage opened and the forum not, sometimes the homepage could only be opened without lay-out. Don't know if this is caused by the same 'problem' you are experiencing, but I thought I'd post it here to bundle our problems....

BR
Rense
02-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds like it's something with your ISP. Response time server-wise is only slowed when cron tasks are executed, and this typically only happens once a week during a 5 minute window.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, I understand that but it has been happening rather steadily for a while.
Anyway, I will soon switch to Win 7 and will have to format the drive(s), so that should help.
I can live with that though, it is not an emergency and I do appreciate the reply(ies).
Cheers!

JP

02-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Maybe it's because of javascript runtime? Try opening a static page.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Maybe it's because of javascript runtime? Try opening a static page.
That could be it:

Here's how this happens:

1. I access Pentaxforums.com and it opens quickly, as expected.
2. Once I'm in, I usually first visit the "Home" portion to see what's new ... that's quick too.
3. I go to "Forums", log in with my username/password .... quick too.
4. From that point, I click on, let's say, "Manage account" > "Threads in which you participated" .... and that is where it takes forever for that page to load.
This will usually happen when I initially try accessing any thread too.
5. Once this is done, and accessed, things usually go back to normal and the speed is as expected: good.

One more thing: when I click on a link embedded within a post, it sometimes doesn't want to open that page/link or it finally flashes a message saying that this web page cannot be accessed ...!?

So, that is the issue at hand. If you, or anyone else, have a suggestion, it would be nice.

Cheers.

JP
02-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

When you open the 'threads in which I've participated' link, a search execution time should be displayed in the lower-right corner. Next time the page is slow, could you please let me know what time is indicated?

Adam

02-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, I will do that; I assume this is something like this you want?

Cached search took 0.09 seconds; generated 4 minute(s) ago | Showing results 1 to 25 of 185
As I said, once in, the search is quick. This will likely happen next time I get back to the website after being out for a while.
I'll post again with the results.

JP
02-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That result makes it sound like the problem is client-side. Is the site stiff slow if you open it using a different browser?

Adam

02-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
No problem here, and I've been on all day off and on !!!!!!!!! If all else fail REBOOT!!!!!!
02-22-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That result makes it sound like the problem is client-side. Is the site stiff slow if you open it using a different browser?
Adam,

This morning, all was fine ... not much delay except for opening a link from within the "Threads which you started" ... took about 15 seconds, so not that bad.
This is likely a problem from this side, and not from PentaxForums.com.
I also have been having a recurring message, when I open Internet Explorer wanting me to update to the new version (v.8 I believe). I haven't done that because I don't know if this is a buggy pice of software.
Maybe it doesn't have anyhting to do with the issue either.
I haven't tried it with another browser ... suggestion? This almost seems to be a cache problem from my end.

JP
02-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spanky66d Quote
No problem here, and I've been on all day off and on !!!!!!!!! If all else fail REBOOT!!!!!!
As I mentioned earlier, this happens only upon initial visiting of the website. Once in, things run smoothly.