Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What happened to "Everything Else"

Adam,

Does everything now, not Pentax or camera related, have to go into General talk?

A category in which I've chosen to not participate due to its political nature.

Thanks,

Ed

02-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Ed,

Please check this announcement: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentaxforums-com-news/90868-minor-structural-changes.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2010, 01:54 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Adam did not really care to answer your question directly, so we can only assume that 'Everything Else' goes into 'General Talk' from now on. Otherwise, expect an infraction.

I'm not fond of this idea also. 'General Talk' should be re-labled 'Political Debates & General Rantings'.
02-22-2010, 02:40 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Adam did not really care to answer your question directly, so we can only assume that 'Everything Else' goes into 'General Talk' from now on. Otherwise, expect an infraction.

I'm not fond of this idea also. 'General Talk' should be re-labled 'Political Debates & General Rantings'.
Nope, that's not right at all.

Everything Else was simply renamed. It is still a section for all threads that don't fit into other sections. The only functional change is that you can no longer place threads there that do fit into other categories and expect them to be moved into the correct category by moderators.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2010, 02:50 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Everything Else was simply renamed. It is still a section for all threads that don't fit into other sections. The only functional change is that you can no longer place threads there that do fit into other categories and expect them to be moved into the correct category by moderators.
It would appear not.

Oh, I get it. It was "simply" renamed.. which means it is a completely different section. Non-Pentax related topics do not belong there, so it has been more than 'simply renamed' as you so put it.
02-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
Inactive Account

IMHO.....

Since eveything not Pentax related must now go into General Talk.

I think it would be appropriate to have a Politics and Religion sub-forum there to keep that separated from "everything else".

Some of us have no interest in P&R and think it should be separated.

Oscar
02-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everything Else was simply renamed. It is still a section for all threads that don't fit into other sections.
The only functional change is that you can no longer place threads there that do fit into other categories
and expect them to be moved into the correct category by moderators.
Huh? If a thread does not fit into other categories, how can a moderator move it into the "correct" one?

I prefer "Everything Else". It sounds more general, good for hard to categorize topics and queries,
Pentax and non-Pentax related, without risking the controversy of General Talk...

Chris

02-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Huh? If a thread does not fit into other categories, how can a moderator move it into the "correct" one?

I prefer "Everything Else". It sounds more general, good for hard to categorize topics and queries,
Pentax and non-Pentax related, without risking the controversy of General Talk...

Chris
Hi Chris,

This was not a largely-publicized policy, but we did have it for a while. Basically, if you were a newbie and didn't know where you should put your thread, you could just post it in EE and we would move it to the right section for you. Now, however, we have added an automated system that confirms that newbies post in the right section, and as a result the previous policy has been dropped.

The only reason it was renamed was for SEO reasons.

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
It would appear not.

Oh, I get it. It was "simply" renamed.. which means it is a completely different section. Non-Pentax related topics do not belong there, so it has been more than 'simply renamed' as you so put it.
Everything else was never home for non-Pentax related topics. It was only home for topics that didn't fit into any other forum, or for topics that were only superficially Pentax-related. You guys are killing me right now, because apparently nobody takes the time to read the forum descriptions.

Everything Else's description:

QuoteQuote:
Use this forum to talk about anything Pentax-related that's not covered in other sections. Also post here if you are unsure where else to post.
New 'Other Pentax-Related Topics' description:
QuoteQuote:
Use this forum to talk about anything Pentax-related that's not covered in other sections.
Fail?

Adam

02-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So where do non-Pentax related topics not covered in other sections go?

Chris
02-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Where they've always gone- General Talk if entirely unrelated to photography, Off-Brand if related to other brands, or General Photography if related to photography but not to Pentax.

Adam

02-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oscar1 Quote
IMHO.....

Since eveything not Pentax related must now go into General Talk.

I think it would be appropriate to have a Politics and Religion sub-forum there to keep that separated from "everything else".

Some of us have no interest in P&R and think it should be separated.

Oscar
I like that idea, as I tried ignoring general talk but there are some good threads in there amongst the P&R
02-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I guess if I have anything to talk about that isn't Pentax or Camera related, I'll have to do it on another forum as I refuse to participate in the General Talk portion of this forum.

Thanks Adam, you've answered my question.
02-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
I like that idea, as I tried ignoring general talk but there are some good threads in there amongst the P&R
Since I posted earlier, I have done some research.

Seems that this has been asked for by quite a number of people over time.

Adam seems to be opposed to creating a P&R sub-forum, or forum, for those who want P&R.

Great forum anyway.
02-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
Well, I guess if I have anything to talk about that isn't Pentax or Camera related, I'll have to do it on another forum as I refuse to participate in the General Talk portion of this forum.

Thanks Adam, you've answered my question.
Imaging what it's like on a site like this: Offtopic.com

tongue

Their whole forum is general talk!

If we do add a p&r subforum then it'll be solely for the purpose of cleaning up general talk.

Adam

02-23-2010, 06:15 AM   #15
Inactive Account

If we do add a p&r subforum then it'll be solely for the purpose of cleaning up general talk.

If you added a P&R sub-forum, the by-product would be a "cleaned up" General Talk Forum.