Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Repetitious threads

I'm wondering if some steps couldn't be taken to cut down on the number of repetitious threads. Some of these repeats come within a short time of each other. To find information on a subject requires searching multiple threads.

Here are, perhaps, a few possibilities:

1) In some other forums to which I have belonged, there was a strong suggestion in a sticky, or a notice that members should search before starting a thread.

2) I've also seen some more aggressive moderation in other forums which locks a thread right away if it duplicates another thread.

3) Many of these duplicate thread are from new members (whom we appreciate) who are asking a question that has been answered repeatedly. Perhaps we could consider a forum rule that new threads can only be started after a member has made x number of posts. This would encourage a new member to find a thread on the subject before starting a new one. As an alternative, perhaps new members could start threads only after approval of the thread by a moderator.

02-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a forum and this kind of stuff is bound to happen- some people are just to lazy to check to search, and even if not you could possibly miss something in a search.

Hopefully the 'similar thread' functionality will get people to realize that a thread on that topic already exists.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #3

I have been on some forums where the first 5 stickies are a catalogue of the most often asked questions. There are informative links and basic advice in the sticky so that 75% of the repetitive questions can be nipped in the bud right away. The only thing is, someone needs to put all of this together & it's going to take time to also maintain.
02-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote
I have been on some forums where the first 5 stickies are a catalogue of the most often asked questions. There are informative links and basic advice in the sticky so that 75% of the repetitive questions can be nipped in the bud right away. The only thing is, someone needs to put all of this together & it's going to take time to also maintain.
I'm open to contributors for that

As I posted in another thread, I'll be out for about 10 days starting tomorrow.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote
I've seen similar features as well. Some of the entries could be links to threads about frequently asked topics, like which 17-70 should I buy or whether the kit lens is any good.
02-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's a forum and this kind of stuff is bound to happen- some people are just to lazy to check to search, and even if not you could possibly miss something in a search.

Hopefully the 'similar thread' functionality will get people to realize that a thread on that topic already exists.
How long has that feature been in place? Perhaps when you get back this can be explored more. Duplication happens in every forum, but it seems to happen a bit more here.
02-26-2010, 03:51 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's been there for a good few months now. Sadly it's not displayed for newbies until a thread is already posted

02-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I'm wondering if some steps couldn't be taken to cut down on the number of repetitious threads. Some of these repeats come within a short time of each other. To find information on a subject requires searching multiple threads.

Here are, perhaps, a few possibilities:

1) In some other forums to which I have belonged, there was a strong suggestion in a sticky, or a notice that members should search before starting a thread.
There are quite a few stickies already that cover repetitive questions. Some people read them, some don't, the same is true of searches.

2) I've also seen some more aggressive moderation in other forums which locks a thread right away if it duplicates another thread.
Being more aggressive and closing duplicate threads like that can also potentially be a turn off to a new member. There's no way of measuring how many we would lose if we were to take that kind of action.

3) Many of these duplicate thread are from new members (whom we appreciate) who are asking a question that has been answered repeatedly. Perhaps we could consider a forum rule that new threads can only be started after a member has made x number of posts. This would encourage a new member to find a thread on the subject before starting a new one. As an alternative, perhaps new members could start threads only after approval of the thread by a moderator.
One of the reasons we started the Beginners Corner was because of repetitious threads, the responders in that forum have the patience to keep answering them and they aren't an annoyance in the other forums.

If you do see any threads like that in anywhere other than Beginners Corner, feel free to report them so that a moderator can move them.
02-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

There are only so many things to be discussed. Like most magazines, the same topics got reprinted every year. What bores me to death might have some interest to others.
02-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
After scanning this thread I was tempted to start a repetitive, "repetittive threads" thread but I restrained myself (my daughter has made me aware how irritating my sense of humor can be.)