Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Auto-logout very annoying, especially when composing message

I get auto-logged out very often.

This is somewhat annoying when reading, so now I mostly read the forum as a "guest" and only log in when I want to post.

However, I even get logged out in the middle of a post. I was just composing a relatively long post, taking care to think about what I was saying and to proof-read and recompose as necessary. In the middle of composing it, I was distracted by an important phone call for maybe 30 minutes. When I finished composing and clicked preview (and also submit) the system says I've been logged out, and that I should log in again, click back and reload to enable submission. When I just reloaded the page the message I typed was still there but I had the same submission error. When I did a shift-reload, the message I'd entered was gone.

That's really frustrating.

I guess in the future I will copy the message somewhere else before "reloading", but that is so last century.

It'd be better if the system wasn't so finicky.

Regards,
OOF.

03-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Simply check the 'remember me' option to disable the 30-minute timeout.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OutOfFocus Quote
When I just reloaded the page the message I typed was still there but I had the same submission error.
That's when I copy the message, just in case something goes wrong. I then just have to paste it into the reply box and press send
03-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are you using Firefox? My work computer has Firefox set up with the most outrageous internet security settings. Even clicking "remember me" does nothing (presumably Firefox immediately dumps the cookie, or refuses it). At work if I'm doing anything lengthy here I will use IE. YMMV.

03-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks. I'll try those suggestions. I am using firefox, but I don't think I have any super restrictions.
03-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

session timeouts?

So I go through the hootenanny of registering at CaNikFor, and I get authorized and everything, and I start to post a reply. I take 4 minutes thinking about it. Posting fails - session timeout. "Login and try again."

So I figure CaNikFor isn't worth it, even if it shows the right time and PenFor doesn't, and I close that window. Then I have to take care of some Real World stuff, and I don't get back to PenFor for a couple hours. And I start to post a reply here. I work on it for 10 minutes. Posting fails - session timeout. "Login and try again."

So I say a few choice words, and logout -- wait, logout fails, "click here". And I do, and log back in, and search for "session timeout" but find nothing relevant. Then I search on "timeout" and find instructions to check "remember me" which I always check anyway. And now I'm perturbed. So I want to know -- WHAT'S UP WITH THESE FAST SESSION TIMEOUTS?!?!?

Now let's see if THIS times out...

EDIT: No, this posting didn't time out. I hate inconsistent software.
03-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Today, both PF and CF were upgraded to new versions of the forum software. This resulted in security token resets for everyone, as well as session resets for those not using remember-me.

Thus, the software isn't inconsistent, but rather the execution of this upgrade made it so (I wasn't aware this would happen until after the fact, unfortunately). On a positive note, the upgrade added fixes to increase the encryption strength of your passwords! See below:

QuoteQuote:
The vBulletin development team has identified a potential issue with the strength of password encryption in vBulletin and we are implementing a patch to address this issue.

In certain rare cases, hackers can exploit a non-vBulletin vector (such as a bad plug-in) to access the vBulletin password database and attempt to decrypt administrator and user passwords.

In the cases we have investigated, if hackers are able to successfully exploit the password database, they focus on administrator usernames and passwords. Since many administrators work on multiple vBulletin sites, the hackers then search all vBulletin sites for a particular administrator username and attempt to log in with the corresponding password. They then access user tables and attempt to repeat the process across multiple vBulletin sites and cause widespread disruptions.

The patch changes the way password hashes are generated to prevent some methods of determining the password from the hash from working. Note that the new hashes are only generated when a password is changed. Therefore, we strongly advise changing all admin passwords immediately once the patch is applied. It is also strongly recommended that all users change their passwords as well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So..........that's what happened. Same thing with me a bit ago and I thought it was my Opera acting up again.