Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
pop up , whats' up?

What's the deal with the crazy little pop up ads that have been coming and going since last night?

03-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should never be visible when you are logged in. Were you browsing the forum as a guest?
03-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
that must be it.
03-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Igilligan

Please re-think the pop up ads

Hey Adam, I do a large percentage of my forum browsing as a "guest".... this kind of sucks! I am one of those old schoolers who actually read while dragging the mouse...
Please, If you are selling ad space, just sell the ad space on the side of the pages or something, that way it does not affect the browsing.

Some of the posts already have way to many green Highlighted words!!! Please don't do it this way.

03-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Why not use the 'remember me' feature then? That way you can stay logged in, and read all you want without the ads.

Once I get the CTR statistics of the intellitxt system I may be able to consider replacing or removing it; however, I personally find it to be the least obtusive advertising system, as it doesn't take up any extra space. For those who disagree, thus, there's the login option

If that doesn't work for you, PM me for a workaround.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I find these pop up ads to be really obnoxious, Wasn't aware that logging in would get rid of them.

I don't always login when i'm reading since the autologin doesn't seem to work as well with pentaxforums as it does with some of my other sites.

Adam, what i think the unintended consequences of this style of pop up, is that new readers that come in the form of guests, maynot choose to ever register because of how obnoxious these ads are. I stayed with Dpreview for a long time before i found out how good this board was. Hope this doesn't turn too many people away.
03-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I find these pop up ads to be really obnoxious, Wasn't aware that logging in would get rid of them.

I don't always login when i'm reading since the autologin doesn't seem to work as well with pentaxforums as it does with some of my other sites.

Adam, what i think the unintended consequences of this style of pop up, is that new readers that come in the form of guests, maynot choose to ever register because of how obnoxious these ads are. I stayed with Dpreview for a long time before i found out how good this board was. Hope this doesn't turn too many people away.
The fact that the ads will be removed is indicated in the homepage welcome message for guests.

Also, I don't see why the auto login isn't working well for you- yesterday I started up my other laptop which I hadn't used for a few months, and it was still logged in!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The fact that the ads will be removed is indicated in the homepage welcome message for guests.

Also, I don't see why the auto login isn't working well for you- yesterday I started up my other laptop which I hadn't used for a few months, and it was still logged in!
I haven't been posting for a few months due to a host of other commitments, but I have logged on periodically as a reader and still donate. Somehow this time my auto-logon did not work either and until I tried to see who else hated these popups did not realize that I was on as a guest!

A general e-mail message to the members (like the e-mails I get for other new features) to inform them these only occur if not logged on might help avoid a lot of ruffled feathers - we don't look at the homepage welcome message for guests.
03-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The login problem shouldn't persist, although you may need to delete your old PF cookies.

See here for a statement regarding the other matter: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentaxforums-com-news/95417-regarding-adv...tml#post966372

Adam

03-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

The auto-login stopped working for me two updates ago. I never brought it up because it wasn't meaningful until now.

I use Firefox and auto-clear all cookies and history when I exit.

In Firefox, with this Forum, UserId and Password logged to Saved Passwords as PentaxForums.com - The Largest Pentax-Dedicated Photography Forum Community- Home the Login box no longer pre-fills as it formerly did (and as every other website I bookmark does). I have to select the box with the mouse, type the first letter of my UserId, then the full ID is called in a pop-up. When I click the pop-up the login boxes (UserID and Password) are filled and I can click the Login button.

It isn't a big deal, but it is a change from before. I did read as a Guest frequently before the ads, but not any more.
03-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I read this on another forum that installed this patch:

QuoteQuote:
the login issue is directly related to your computer and its storage of the PC cookies. Log out of PC, clear your cookies and browser cache, close all browser windows. (reboot if you want to be 100% sure)

open a browser and log back into PC.. the 'remember me' should work normally now.
Maybe you'd also need to clear your stored password in firefox entirely, then add a new one- but I'm not sure as to how that works.

Adam

03-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I read this on another forum that installed this patch:

Maybe you'd also need to clear your stored password in firefox entirely, then add a new one- but I'm not sure as to how that works.
Adam - did all of the above. I am aware it could be a Firefox issue.

Seems to be related to the full Login Page download and where the intial focus is centered when the page load completes (it isn't on the Login Box). If I manage to clcik the empty Login box before the page fully loads (thus moving the focus there) sometimes the UserId and Password strings pre-fill.

Doesn't bother me - I just log in the hard way to avoid the ads - but I thought you'd want to know it is out there.

The change occurred when you reconfigured the Welcome Box and Login box many iterations ago.
03-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Adam - did all of the above. I am aware it could be a Firefox issue.

Seems to be related to the full Login Page download and where the intial focus is centered when the page load completes (it isn't on the Login Box). If I manage to clcik the empty Login box before the page fully loads (thus moving the focus there) sometimes the UserId and Password strings pre-fill.

Doesn't bother me - I just log in the hard way to avoid the ads - but I thought you'd want to know it is out there.

The change occurred when you reconfigured the Welcome Box and Login box many iterations ago.
Oh, ok- then it's not related to the recent upgrade.

That's still strange, though, as the code for the actual login form was never modified.

Adam