Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2010, 03:54 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regarding Advertising on PentaxForums.com: An Official Statement

Dear PentaxForums.com Community,

To start, I would like to thank each and every one of you for helping make PentaxForums.com what it is today: the Internet's largest, friendliest, and arguably easiest-to-use Pentax discussion forum in English. We are proud to soon be reaching the one-million post mark: a fine accomplishment for any forum out there!

A few members today have pointed out today that they noticed IntelliTXT in-text advertisements while browsing the forums as guests (i.e. when they were not logged in to their accounts). Indeed, these advertisements have been enabled forum-wide, but only for guests.

Unfortunately, the site has recently found itself in a small financial deficit, thus bringing about the need for this type of advertising. Considering our site size, even light guest-only advertising should give our funds the needed boost.

Although our average donation goal of $850 a month has been met every month so far, and even exceeded, myself as well as others have been hard at work maintaining, improving, and monitoring the site, and costs have been high. For example,
In the coming month, we will be happy to announce the launch of our new Accessory Review Database! Do rest assured that if donations alone get us out of the red, then we will without hesitation remove even the IntelliTXT ads. I have been hesitant to raise the official donation goal thus far, but it would appear that it should be closer to $2000 rather than a mere $850. Thus, if as a community you would like to keep PentaxForums.com 100% ad-free for guests, please do consider donating. Even your smallest contributions make a large difference in the long run!

With that said, I would also like to make a statement regarding future advertising on PentaxForums.com:

PentaxForums.com will never serve any type of advertisement to its logged-in members. In addition, we will never display banners or pop-ups to guests, and are limiting advertising to the current in-text system, if anything. Although you may occasionally hear mention of our affiliate Adorama (and soon also B&H Photo) in site announcements, no permanent banners will be placed forum-wide, either.

Thus, we are standing strong in our promise to deliver the ultimate clutter-free and clean browsing experience to our users. We believe we have achieved a truly-accessible forum layout, of which we are very proud. We welcome any further comments and suggestions in this thread, and we hope you continue enjoying PentaxForums.com!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-23-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
+1 !!!!!!!
03-23-2010, 04:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adam, I, and most every other Pentaxian, owe you a huge debt of gratitude!! Without your time, efforts and money we wouldn't have this fantastic resource!!!

THANK YOU!!!
03-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Kudos on everything, IMO. With the forum creation you've created an online community space, and deserve thanks.

03-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Adam,

I have profound respect for what you do with this forum. If you can't keep things going without advertising that is perfectly understandable, but don't lie to us for no reason, and don't use semantics as a scapegoat.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam:
With that said, I would also like to make a statement regarding future advertising on PentaxForums.com:

PentaxForums.com will never serve any type of advertisement to its logged-in members. In addition, we will never display banners or pop-ups to guests, and are limiting advertising to the current in-text system, if anything..
Both of these partial screenshots were taken within 1 hour of viewing this post. I really like the second one, where the ads are in the signature of the very post where you tell us that logged in members will not see ads.
Attached Images

03-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I don't consider either of these instances advertisements, as their can either be disabled via User CP options (the signature) or are temporary (the global announcement / homepage-only).

A huge proportion of US members here either buy from Adorama or B&H, and many have told me that they made a purchase but had no clue about our affiliation with the two stores, so I'm spreading the word! See here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/site-suggestions-forum-help/94368-suggest...y-adorama.html

Enough PR stuff- back to programming now

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: