Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Beginners

This is an idea i had for the beginners q+a section for a sub forum with some guides written by some of the talented people here, might make it a little easier for new people who may not be as internet savvy as others (sometimes the search engines can be elusive). Especially with the ever growing amount of posts and threads, through my reading here i have found some very good posts with excellent advice (I am saving their links to make a thread one day to hopefully be stickied), just finding them can be a little troublesome.
Could also stop a lot of the same questions being asked over and over as thread titles can be wrongly worded sometimes.

04-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Articles - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-11-2010, 05:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mibane Quote
Could also stop a lot of the same questions being asked over and over as thread titles can be wrongly worded sometimes.
There is nothing on earth that can stop the same questions being asked over and over again. If you think about it (and Adam's "brevity is the soul of wit" reply), your post sort of goes to prove the point. But I admire your optimism.
04-12-2010, 06:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the end of the day. The articles forum could be replaced by a book.

This is a book not yet written, where a group of people sit down collectively edit the posts, and information collected here and write the definitive Pentax DSLR manual.

There is a lot of great resourse data here, which is not found in any book on a DSLR, from real examples of the range of adjustments and their impact on images, to metering performance, to real descriptions of how all the auto modes interact etc.

I have been toying with this idea for some time, and have posted the concept before.

04-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That is actually not a bad idea and I'd gladly be of help to make some sort of collection. On the flip side, I suppose this could be said of all forums, and due to their nature alone making a book might be defeating the purpose.
04-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That is actually not a bad idea and I'd gladly be of help to make some sort of collection. On the flip side, I suppose this could be said of all forums, and due to their nature alone making a book might be defeating the purpose.
given that stickies don't stop people from asking why my camera makes noise when I shake it, I doubt it

I am looking at this more from the long term of having a useful resourse, but it can only be compiled and checked (functionally for bodies I don't own) by other forum members.
04-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The similar threads feature within the beginner's forum should reduce the number of trivial questions, but there's nothing wrong with the same issue coming up from time to time as long as it's not every other day-- it is a forum, after all.

We could perhaps make a compilation on basic photography, camera tech specs, and lens specs- those would be quite useful.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We could perhaps make a compilation on basic photography, camera tech specs, and lens specs- those would be quite useful.
This is kind of my idea, breif technical descriptions of how the functions work, either derrived from what is available in the manual, or determined imperically by testing the functions out on the camera. Ideally and I am sure it exists within pentax, there is a Functional Requirement Specification for the software, that would give us all this data. the software does not happen by chance, someone specifies how they want each function to work, with curves, equations, limits, exclusions etc. that would be the ideal

For tech spec's on lenses, I thnk the database is pretty good already, we have in most cases the main spec's plus when people take the time, some pretty good reviews. Optical formulas would be nice, but I am not sure where to get them.