Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Post Reputation

I used the fantastically upgraded and implemented "Search This Section" pulldown [Kudos Mo!] and searched for "reputation" in titles, but only found one suggestion dealing with buy/sell/trade. So here's my thoughts...

I've seen the "Member Reputation" link associated with every post from a user on a few vBulletin boards, but it's not often seen/used. I very recently started spending time on this board which has it and reminded me about it:
Laptop Forums and Notebook Computer Discussion

Each post from a member can add to a person's 'Reputation' rating based on the number of people who really appreciated it for whatever reason, where a feedback meter is provided in the left margin as a weighted ranking by some formula I'm not aware of to reflect that person's 'reputation'. So I thought I'd make mention of it.

While regardless of my post count, I don't expect to every have very high 'reputation' if implemented, as I'll remain a 'student' in most things camera/photography/pentax rather than a/the teacher/expert ... so I'm not suggesting it with any thought of myself in mind. But I do think it's quite good at separating the wheat from the chaff as member post counts increase.

To elaborate, but it's probably unnecessary, as member count increases, and we start seeing posts from people we don't recognize, it can be a good means to separate the folks who help and are generally respectful from the folks who do nothing but offer snide or confrontational remarks ... on weighted average. That way if/when we see a snide? off the cuff? unusually terse? unusually 'confrontational'? remark from someone, and it's from someone with high reputation, we might be willing to give that person or post a bit more credence and willingness to understand there's an 'acceptable' [?] reason for it, and not that the person's just plain 'disagreeable', on average. At least I would.

BTW, another good thing is it's a self-balancing thing [it's that's the right word]. As people, especially newer people, come along and begin searching for things and come across some of the great information conveyed in the archives, they may be likely to click on the 'Reputation' of a member who was very helpful in a post, or to a post that really stands out.... regardless of how long ago it may have been. So it wouldn't only be that new active members get the reputation built, but I'd like to think usage behavior would have the OG who may not be as active presently now as they were in the past, would have reputation accumulated too. [at least that's the theory]

04-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi m8o,

Thanks for the suggestion! See here for my thoughts on the matter: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/site-suggestions-forum-help/65570-suggest...own-posts.html

Not only does vBulletin's reputation system suck, but I think the idea in general is sort of redundant. Would you rather get kudos in a post, or kudos through a little notification box labeled reputation? If you ask me, therefore, it's just a waste of space.

Now what would be nice, as you said, is a way to find and reward or keep track of members who have proved to contribute especially much to the forum. So far I've noticed that many such members, while having a high post count, also have pretty active guestbooks- and can thus be found by that route. Maybe this is something worth improving in the future, but again, I do see forum-wide reputation systems as a waste of space and something that discourages the normal 'hey, thanks mate' sort of posting

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Greetings Adam,

I'd suggest karma, reputation, kudos, or whatever you call it to be dolled out in a limited fashion. Give people the ability to give 2 kudos per 30 day window, and only on non-market-place posts. I think that would be valuable, and help those that contribute meaningful content.

I would be careful to not have it a monthly allotment, but rather once you've given kudos, that kudos wont be available for a grant for 30 more days. That would prevent end of the month kudos granting.

On the forum I run, we have a karma system built in, and it works OK given years of karma granting, but ultimately, people can give as much karma to each post as they see fit. I'd prefer a metered system.

I've never run vBulletin, so I don't know if such a thing is possible, or if there are those on the forum that could contribute such an idea, but it is food for your thoughts.
04-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Everything is possible with vB- worst case I can write the script myself

Do you think something with a large restriction like that would be beneficial at all? Sounds like it wouldn't be rewarding to everyone who's been helpful.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I had another look at this-

To deal with the clutter aspect of a system like this, I'd have to disable its visibility for guests and somehow integrate the reputation icon/link into the current postbit (which is pretty much full at the moment). This certainly isn't something out of reach. To make it fair, negative ratings would also be disabled.

I'll take a more in-depth look at this tomorrow to see if this system can in fact assist with what I mentioned in the last point in post #2

Adam

04-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

cgoudie is on the right track with a rep system. One of the forums I am a member at had a rep system a while ago and they removed it due to abuse by the members. People were giving reputation for stupid reason and they were also leaving abusive messages when leaving negative feedback. Maybe allow a member to leave 3-5 reputation marks per week but not allow them to leave a comment with it.

Oh..and also should not be able to give rep to the same user more than once in like 72 hours of each other or something like that.

Last edited by timstone; 04-27-2010 at 08:12 PM.
04-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess as I don't hardly every use anyone's guestbook, they don't use mine either. [lol]

Thanx for your thoughts and the related link. That link and here pretty much says it all. The most enlightening comment was how exposing who rep'ed what is a major PITA. I also think that enhancement, of being able to see all the posts of a member that others deemed worthy of "rep'ing" thereby [presumably] finding the cream of the crop of everyone's posts is needed to really make it useful. (I'd also only suggest the "thumbs-up" not "thumbs-down" part of it)

I'll only add one final thought to the mix. That having it doesn't seem to reduce the "well done mate" type posts in the threads over @ notebookreview.com. But no prob in regards to it all. Just a thought. Thought this place would make more sense, than say "Lostpedia" where most everything, even the reveals, are still mostly supposition vs. facts, until the final episodes air; and even after.

Last edited by m8o; 04-27-2010 at 08:14 PM.
04-27-2010, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Let's give it a whirl then, and see how things end up.

Adam

04-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The intent is to have the general population rate or vote on people? Isn't that how the US government mis-functions?

Honesty, I can see it performing no useful purpose. It's too subjective. It would end up like Amazon's review section...a mess.

But yeah, give it a whirl :-)
04-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey, wow, look @ that! Didn't mean to make work, but that's awfully nice of ya! The bottom left icons you chose looking really pleasing too.
04-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Do you prefer the bigger icons over the old mini-icons? Nice looks cost more space.

Adam

04-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #12
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I like it as is, I assume that is the 'smaller' version or is this bigger? Whatever it is, it looks good as is, with a 900px high resolution screen.
04-27-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

These are bigger- the old icons used to be 9x9; these are 16x16.

Also, give me a moment while I set up the reputation icons. These will only be shown in the profile.

Adam

04-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #14
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
...I should learn PHP too.

Nice little icon there to fill in the blank space. I fear like anything [everything it seems] there will be the detractors. But I think it dresses the posts, and more subtly the profile page, up nicely.

Now get some sleep! (2am and I'm still programming myself ... maybe another hour and I'll call it.)
04-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I think the icons are of a reasonable size.

So how do we view our own rep/someone elses rep?

I think it's worth a burl.