Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 11:53 PM - 11 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reputation System Enabled

I've recently enabled our forum reputation system for a test drive The purpose of this system is for users to be able to say 'thanks' to members for informative posts, and to determine which members have been helpful to others!

Check out the screenshots for details on how to use the system. If things end up working out, we'll keep the system around; otherwise, we can always remove it.

Reputation received can be viewed in your profile, and total reputation for all users can be viewed on the right side of their profile pages. In addition, you gain 1 point of reputation power (i.e. the amount of points given per reputation comment) per year of membership, per 1000 posts, and per 100 reputation points received. Edit: Negative reputation can't be left.

Click the 'plus' () icon beside a member's username to leave reputation.

If you click your own icon and reputation has been left, you will be able to see details for the post/thread.

A brief explanation how reputation icons work:

I'm going to just list examples rather than trying to explain the algorithm, as I think that's going to be much easier to understand. An icon is awarded every 75 points, or every 150 points if your score is over 450.

New member:

Reputation (new accounts)

1-74 Reputation

75-149 Reputation

150-224 Reputation

225-299 Reputuation

300-374 Reputation

375-449 Reputation

450-599 Reputation

600-749 Reputation

750-899 Reputation

900-1049

1050-1199 Reputation

1200+ Reputation

This is based off of a slightly modified version of the stock vBulletin reputation algorithm. If needed, we'll make further modifications as needed or suggested.

As a reminder, these medal icons are viewable in user profiles; they are displayed as simple little bubbles for users of the low-fi skin.

Happy reputation-giving

Attached Images

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

Last edited by Adam; 04-28-2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Updated
04-28-2010, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not a bad idea, Adam.
Perhaps it makes things a little more 'labour-intensive' to be a reliable measure, just for the fact that it's another thing to act upon, but a welcome change nonetheless.
Thanks for your hard work in PF, and a positive reputation score is left for you in this thread.
04-28-2010, 04:04 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Good idea find this also in other (not Digital camera ) forums
04-28-2010, 04:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Adam, thanks for trying this. It is certainly a feature worth trying out.

What are the reputation badges / titles one can have?
What does it mean if someone is on a "distinguished road"? Is that the lowest score possible?

04-28-2010, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

I'm doomed.
04-28-2010, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Huh what?

Sounds like something a girl would dream up.

Will this lead to the 1000 Rep Club, the 5,000 Rep Club? 10,000, 1million.
Here's a smiley face for you. (equals a silver star - but not always)

If your looking for a stroke. Keep It Up! Nice Job! Seriously, appreciate the efforts. I get my winder going everytime I visit. I'll try to send you an ecard more often.

Signed,
(fill in the blank)
04-28-2010, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Wait a minute:

You can only do this for the OP? I don't see the option to do it for people ANSWERING an OP's question.

04-28-2010, 05:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Wait a minute:

You can only do this for the OP? I don't see the option to do it for people ANSWERING an OP's question.
No - there's an icon beside the username - click on it
04-28-2010, 05:20 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
No - there's an icon beside the username - click on it
I failed reading comprehension--the little green plus sign.

THANKS!!!
04-28-2010, 05:21 AM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

I clicked on mine and it looks like they give you 10 reputation points for free!!!
04-28-2010, 05:26 AM   #11

Senior members can also leave negative reputation, but doing so is not advised.

Gotta ask - what is the purpose of ANY system, where you can leave positive feedback but not negative?
04-28-2010, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DblArrow Quote
Senior members can also leave negative reputation, but doing so is not advised.

Gotta ask - what is the purpose of ANY system, where you can leave positive feedback but not negative?
Adam isn't online so let me see if I can at least try to provide a partial answer in his absence.

A system largely restricted to positive points is more positive focused than one in which people can take away. It should, hopefully, reward those members contributing with useful, informative and positive posts, and minimise the extent to which it becomes used as an inane popularity contest. Like any healthy forum, PentaxForums.com has its share of personality differences, and in my experience this can and does lead to juvenile behaviour with systems such as this.
04-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Seems too easy to degrade into a popularity contest; we shall see if the 'no negatives' limitation prevents that...

What I've found much more useful on other websites is a simple individual post rating system and associated search capability to find the most informative posts, for example, search for "sensor cleaning" posts sorted by rating in descending order. The distinction to be made from the system here is there the information itself is rated, not the poster. The 'reputation' component is still there -- a listing of users in descending number of informative posts -- but the rating system is oriented toward the information, not the individual 'reputation'.

What if the most despised person in the world comes up with the only idea that will save humanity from extinction, and nobody listens to the idea because of the person's reputation?
04-28-2010, 06:44 AM   #14

Very good idea. I liked it.
04-28-2010, 07:18 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

I suspect a large potential for abuse from a vocal minority.