Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
August 2007 Winner: Water on the Rocks

Submission for Augusts theme of "Water".

Attached Images

09-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Submission for Augusts theme of "Water".
I wanted to express my thanks for the many individuals who took the time to vote on this months competition. Needless to say, there were many really well done images on the subject of water. Many of them quite oiginal and well executed.

I wanted to explain story behind the image(s) that I submitted here.

The image is a smaller crop from a 12 image pano shot with a 31 LTD in late August, when the water, unfortunately, does not flow well in Ricketts Glen. This summer has been particularly rough due to near drought conditions in this particular part of Pennsylvania.

A small jpeg of the full pano is attached to show the original.
The camera was a K10D, and the pano head is the NN3. Calibrations were 45mm horizontal and 73 vertical with 15 degree overlap. Hope that helps some of the pano people

The other attachemnt is another pano of the falls from the opposite side of the creek.

Thank you all again to all those that selected this picture.

Stephen

Stephen
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo   
09-20-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Congrats ! You did a wonderful job !
09-20-2007, 10:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very pleasing and technically perfect. Congratulations.

09-21-2007, 12:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I like the 2nd shot the best for its colour and composition.

Really nice work Stephen.
09-21-2007, 01:59 AM   #6

it is for sure a great shot! I love it I cant wait to get my ND filter in the mail! rp
09-21-2007, 05:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Congrats well deserved.

09-21-2007, 06:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I didn't vote for your submission; however, I most certainly would have voted for the panoramic version! I was bothered that the top of the falls were cut off, I think with the top included it looks marvelous.
09-21-2007, 08:26 AM   #9
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I didn't vote for your submission; however, I most certainly would have voted for the panoramic version! I was bothered that the top of the falls were cut off, I think with the top included it looks marvelous.
Lol ... and I actually thought the top missing was a particularly positive quality to the composition ... brought thoughts of "water falling from the heavens" to me. Just like 'art' to have such a wide array of reactions.
09-21-2007, 09:00 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Your original submission was great to begin with, but just like Sean said, I think you would have gotten many more votes if you had posted the panoramic version. Once again, congratulations!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Dear Sean,

Just a private note to let you know that I have crossed you off my Christmas list. Now I don't have to spring for that Leica I was going to get you...

Well, I know what you mean about the top being cut off. It was a creative judgement call and it is hard to know exactly whether it was the right decision or not.

It is nice to have gotten the positive feedback from you and Mo about the 12 image pano of the falls(BTW... that whale tail shaped rock in the forground fills up a 21 inch screen at 100%). While I admit I do like the pano, I wanted something tighter and a little different than "just another waterfall" picture. The submission version to me was a little more of a spiritual image of "gentle water falling peacfully in the solitude of an isolated and private grotto" on a rainy day.

On the occasions that I submit images for competitions it is always a guessing game as to how people will judge an images. That is what makes these cimpetitions so interesting.

Stephen
09-21-2007, 04:55 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Lol ... and I actually thought the top missing was a particularly positive quality to the composition ... brought thoughts of "water falling from the heavens" to me. Just like 'art' to have such a wide array of reactions.
M8o

Thanks for the feedback. My goal on this submission was to isolate the water and show an etherial and enchanted environment wherein water was the dominant element. I'm glad you saw this the way it was intended too

Stephen
09-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Dear Sean,

Just a private note to let you know that I have crossed you off my Christmas list. Now I don't have to spring for that Leica I was going to get you...
Damn! There goes my Sugar Daddy!

QuoteQuote:
Well, I know what you mean about the top being cut off. It was a creative judgement call and it is hard to know exactly whether it was the right decision or not.
Yours was still one of my top picks. Knowing your intent (and some of the other thoughtful comments on it) I might be convinced by an even tighter crop. There is a slight curve at the top, leaving me knowing what it above it without seeing it...having the water start at vertical would add more mystery to the origins.

Oh well, it is a good shot in any case. I wouldn't normally nitpick like this, but I know you can take it! (LOL)
09-23-2007, 04:43 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I wanted to express my thanks for the many individuals who took the time to vote on this months competition. Needless to say, there were many really well done images on the subject of water. Many of them quite oiginal and well executed.

I wanted to explain story behind the image(s) that I submitted here.

The image is a smaller crop from a 12 image pano shot with a 31 LTD in late August, when the water, unfortunately, does not flow well in Ricketts Glen. This summer has been particularly rough due to near drought conditions in this particular part of Pennsylvania.

A small jpeg of the full pano is attached to show the original.
The camera was a K10D, and the pano head is the NN3. Calibrations were 45mm horizontal and 73 vertical with 15 degree overlap. Hope that helps some of the pano people

The other attachemnt is another pano of the falls from the opposite side of the creek.

Thank you all again to all those that selected this picture.

Stephen

Stephen

Stephen,

I must admit that I didn't vote on your image either. The coloration in the rocks was superb but the cropping at the top made the falls look incomplete in my mind. If you would have entered the pano, I probably wouldn't have voted for my image, as that one is just stunning.

Tim
09-23-2007, 07:35 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Stephen,

I must admit that I didn't vote on your image either. The coloration in the rocks was superb but the cropping at the top made the falls look incomplete in my mind. If you would have entered the pano, I probably wouldn't have voted for my image, as that one is just stunning.

Tim
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the comments. It is always a judgement call when I enter a competition (probably is for most everyone else too ) as to which image to put in and whether or not it needs to be dolled up in some way. I enjoy doing waterfall images and making scenics of them when the opportunity allows. While my wife thought that I should have done the "whole" waterfall, I was thinking "water" and just tried to emphasize the etherial beauty of water in this one little spot. I guess one never knows exactly what makes one person like an image and another person not. That is one of the really interesting outcomes of looking at a voting thread.

Thanks again, and I'll check in on your thread and see if the answer to your shooting locale is there.

Stephen