Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 06:09 PM - 7 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
October, 2013 Runner-Up: Orion
Contest Number: 86 Contest Theme: Astrophotography Lens: Orion 8 Camera: Pentax K5 IIs (not modified) Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F4 

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

My image of the Great Orion Nebula and Running Man Nebula. I re-uploaded/attached it as I didn't think it fit with the contest size rules.

Attached Images

Last edited by Dr_who; 10-12-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: I didn't think image fit contest image size rules. resized/cropped
11-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That's truly... beyond words (God, that's awesome). I would love to know how you made this. And if there's a larger image out there somewhere, I would love to see that too!
11-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
That's truly... beyond words (God, that's awesome). I would love to know how you made this. And if there's a larger image out there somewhere, I would love to see that too!
The camera i used was the Pentax K5 IIs and the exposures for the image were:

26 x 3min exposures @ ISO 400
34 x 45sec exposures @ ISO 400

The longer exposures were for the fainter areas of the nebula and the shorter exposures were for the central area of the nebula that over exposes fairly quickly.
I suppose you could call it a 2 bracket HDR image I suppose. I wouldn't be able to explain the exact steps in post processing as I spent many hours trail and error working on it as I had just got Pixinsight shortly before. It's a great program but I still have very much to learn.

The scope I used was a Orion 8" 800mm F3.9 Newtonian. To follow the stars I used a German EQ mount and PHD guiding software. I do have the image on 500px if your interested in seeing it larger. I do have crops of areas on a webpage I'm very slowly working on. I will link to some of them in the next week or so if you want them.

Last edited by Dr_who; 11-18-2013 at 10:27 PM.
11-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thank you so much for the information! I'm afraid that's all a little beyond me at this point, but this is an area I would like to explore.

If you get around to it I would love to see that link.

Again: wow... and thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
The camera i used was the Pentax K5 IIs and the exposures for the image were:

26 x 3min exposures @ ISO 400
34 x 45sec exposures @ ISO 400

The longer exposures were for the fainter areas of the nebula and the shorter exposures were for the central area of the nebula that over exposes fairly quickly.
I suppose you could call it a 2 bracket HDR image I suppose. I wouldn't be able to explain the exact steps in post processing as I spent many hours trail and error working on it as I had just got Pixinsight shortly before. It's a great program but I still have very much to learn.

The scope I used was a Orion 8" 800mm F3.9 Newtonian. To follow the stars I used a German EQ mount and PHD guiding software. I do have the image on 500px if your interested in seeing it larger. I do have crops of areas on a webpage I'm very slowly working on. I will link to some of them in the next week or so if you want them.

11-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spectacular results! I should have guessed that the only way to get all those details would be to flatten the contrast via HDR. Simply the best M42 image I have yet seen.

Jack
11-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #6

IMPRESSIVE WORK Doc!!

IMPRESSIVE WORK Doc!!
From what I can see you really have your act together.
Btw: I'm curious how many manhours (just an estimate) went into this badass image?
The equatorial mount you speak of... I think I've seen a few as I explored the possibilities a year or so ago...
I know you know but I'm going to say it: What you're doing takes a lot of kit, time, patience/dedication. Thanks for sharing the goods!!
While we're on the subject I just want to share my interest and a book I just ordered: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/1292022930/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I was soo bad at math in school... so I became a social worker.
I do wish I could have gone the astro-studies route.
I'm ranting now...
thanks again, bro! Your pic rocks!!
Keep up the good work!!
11-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Iksobarg Quote
IMPRESSIVE WORK Doc!!
From what I can see you really have your act together.
Btw: I'm curious how many manhours (just an estimate) went into this badass image?
The equatorial mount you speak of... I think I've seen a few as I explored the possibilities a year or so ago...
I know you know but I'm going to say it: What you're doing takes a lot of kit, time, patience/dedication. Thanks for sharing the goods!!
While we're on the subject I just want to share my interest and a book I just ordered: An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics: Amazon.de: Bradley W. Carroll, Dale A. Ostlie: Englische B
I was soo bad at math in school... so I became a social worker.
I do wish I could have gone the astro-studies route.
I'm ranting now...
thanks again, bro! Your pic rocks!!
Keep up the good work!!
It certainly can take a bit of kit as it were, thou at the time the Pentax K5 IIs was the most expensive part of the setup. The Orion Astrograph is about $450 + another couple hundred for a coma corrector. The second most expensive item is the eq mount. The guiding is very important as it really doesn't matter how expensive the scope is if your always star trailing.

As for work hours, if you included the 1 hour drive both way, setup and imaging that comes to around 4hrs. Plus the stacking and post processing add at least another 2-3 hours. Especially since I wasn't super familiar with PixInsight at the time I gathered the data for the image. Also my first time doing a "hdr" type astroimage where I'm blending in two stacked images. It does require a lot of patience, and sometimes luck with the weather.

11-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Nicely done... looks surreal .
11-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #9

Woohoo! It's my desktop wallpaper now.
11-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fantastic.
11-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Wowsers, I can't believe this didn't win.
12-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What filters if any did you use, and did you use eyepiece projection (if so what eyepiece and what adapter), or is this a direct coupling of the camera to the telescope? I have a 5inch Orion scope and I am very impressed. I have been considering upgrading to the 8 inch or even 10 inch.
12-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What filters, if any did you use? Did you use eyepiece projection, or is this result with direct coupling the camera to the telescope? If you did us eye piece projection, what eyepiece and what adapter did you use?

I recently bought an Orion 5 inch scope that has impressed me and I am already considering upgrading to an 8 or even 10 inch. This shot is definitely pushing my buttons.

I have managed to do these in the short time I've had the scope using a 2x Celestron Barlow.
Attached Images

12-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ironwolf50 Quote
What filters if any did you use, and did you use eyepiece projection (if so what eyepiece and what adapter), or is this a direct coupling of the camera to the telescope? I have a 5inch Orion scope and I am very impressed. I have been considering upgrading to the 8 inch or even 10 inch.
I didn't use any filters. As for the setup, it was inserted directly into the focus tube of the telescope and not thru eye piece projection. If you plan on upgrading your scope I'd start with a solid eq mount as the finest scope won't mean much if your guiding isn't up to the task. Also if your going to go with a fast newt like a astrograph you'll also need coma corrector to get round stars across the picture frame
12-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not a problem on the EQ mount. I already have my eye on one of the high end ones from Orion. I figure on spending a couple of grand on the mount and drive system. I am amazed you got that color without using hydrogen or oxygen filters. And the magnification astounds me. Especially considering we are talking about an 800mm equivalent.