Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Problem with Polaroid Sprintscan 4000. Help!

Hi everybody,

I have purchased a Polaroid Sprintscan 4000 in NIB condition and just installed it on my PC. I attempted to do my very first film scan (Kodak BW400CN) and the result is what you see in the attached image...I've tried fiddling around with various settings but the result remains the same.

I am using Windows 7 professional 64bit, newest version of Vuescan and my SCSI card is a Adaptec 29160LP with the proper Adaptec 64 bit drivers installed. All hardware and software installations went completely smoothly, Vuescan seems to be running great and I get absolutely no error messages at any point. The images on the film are definitely ok as they've been conventionally printed already. The film is loaded properly with the emulsion side down.

What the bloody hell is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Riku

Attached Images

05-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Problem solved

Turns out the scanner is broken somehow Luckily I had purchased another, identical unit (ironically, this one is not NIB but is used) and using this one, I got a result that I was expecting. See attached screen shot of the preview scan: Success! Now it's time to delve into the mysteries of scanning. I will post images later on.
Attached Images

05-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Where do you get all the Sprintscans from??? I had been looking for one now and then and never was lucky. It should be a capable scanner. Great to hear and see, that at least your second unit works as expected.

Ah, one thing I like to ask: Have you removed all of the transportation locks in your NIB unit? This could be the simple problem and who would not now and then forget to loosen a screw (I forgot...)

Ben
05-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Where do you get all the Sprintscans from??? I had been looking for one now and then and never was lucky. It should be a capable scanner. Great to hear and see, that at least your second unit works as expected.

Ah, one thing I like to ask: Have you removed all of the transportation locks in your NIB unit? This could be the simple problem and who would not now and then forget to loosen a screw (I forgot...)

Ben
Ben,

From the EvilBay When I'm looking for something, I do daily scans of ebay.com, ebay.co.uk and ebay.de (Babelfish helps with my non-existant German skills). By the way, Artixscan 4000 is the same unit, made by Microtek.

Thanks for the tip but there appears to be no transportation locks with these units. My only guess is that the NIB unit was thrashed in transit. That already happened to a much more expensive unit, a refurbished LeafScan 45 that arrived visibly mangled by FedEx. It was sad as that machine is extremely capable although slow.

Regards,
Riku