Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2010, 05:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
This person fancys themselves as a photographer and sells stuff to local yokels who don't know any better. Personally, I couldn't accept money for an inferior product and maintain a clear conscience. Apparently, some people can though. lol
Have you seen the wedding photog industry lately?!? I, sadly, was like this with flash, until I learned how to use it, now I don`t know how I shot without it. Yes, something you get a great shot, and are like wow, hum... that is actually really good... but I would think that is the 0.01% minority. Kinda like the first guy who through paint at a canvas and called it art without form or function... I know 4 year olds who can do the same thing... dido with a great PAS camera, I know what you need to tell him... but where is the art, the photographer in that photo, a street camera on every corner could do the same thing, so devoid of human touch... that is not history, because history is made by men and recorded by the winner...

or whatever, calling him a noob is good too

05-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Photo editing is for nubs... I just whip out my Droid and command it to take a photo, which I immediately email to myself so it can be preserved for posterity, in its original, unadulterated state, in the digital realm of Gmail.

Life is good...
05-05-2010, 04:36 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Laurie,

Speaking only from my own experience PP is unavoidable.

Right out of the camera color needs to be corrected and often DR enhanced if possible. It's just a limitation of the gear that you have to accommodate.

Camera gear is inaccurate and it's as simple as that. So long as this is true some PP will be necessary.

I think there is a big difference between PP for the purpose of of achieving greater technical accuracy and PP for creative purposes. They seem like two entirely different things to me. But in either case there's nothing wrong with it - it just depends upon your purpose for the PP.
05-05-2010, 04:56 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Laurie,

Speaking only from my own experience PP is unavoidable.

Right out of the camera color needs to be corrected and often DR enhanced if possible. It's just a limitation of the gear that you have to accommodate.

Camera gear is inaccurate and it's as simple as that. So long as this is true some PP will be necessary.

I think there is a big difference between PP for the purpose of of achieving greater technical accuracy and PP for creative purposes. They seem like two entirely different things to me. But in either case there's nothing wrong with it - it just depends upon your purpose for the PP.
I agree with everything you said wildman.

05-05-2010, 04:58 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote
Photo editing is for nubs... I just whip out my Droid and command it to take a photo, which I immediately email to myself so it can be preserved for posterity, in its original, unadulterated state, in the digital realm of Gmail.

Life is good...
You guys are too funny. lol

I did a little prying to see what mode this person shoots in...turns out it's 'creative auto'.
To quote that crazy Jim Carrey character, Ace Ventura: "Alllllllrighty then!"

Canon Digital Learning Center - What's New in the EOS Rebel T1i: Creative Auto Mode
05-05-2010, 06:32 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did a little prying to see what mode this person shoots in...turns out it's 'creative auto'.
And JPEGs, no doubt. Which, as at least one person has pointed out already, means that the image--and "history"--has already been altered.

The person you refer to seems a very good resource, though: if you're ever feeling down and need a good laugh, you can always ask him for a word or two of photographic wisdom. (Just make sure your laugh is out of earshot, or your resource may dry up. . . .)
05-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Do you not edit your photos?

YES.

Almost every one.

Am I committing a crime? Or a sin? Or an indiscretion?

I take pictures and then I make pictures.

For better or for worse they are MY pictures.
My camera only records. It is up to me to do the thinking.

Mickey
05-05-2010, 07:23 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
Have you seen the wedding photog industry lately?!? I, sadly, was like this with flash, until I learned how to use it, now I don`t know how I shot without it. Yes, something you get a great shot, and are like wow, hum... that is actually really good... but I would think that is the 0.01% minority. Kinda like the first guy who through paint at a canvas and called it art without form or function... I know 4 year olds who can do the same thing... dido with a great PAS camera, I know what you need to tell him... but where is the art, the photographer in that photo, a street camera on every corner could do the same thing, so devoid of human touch... that is not history, because history is made by men and recorded by the winner...

or whatever, calling him a noob is good too
Yes I know a few people doing weddings and when I see the images, I cringe. I especially like that Judge Joe Brown episode where he chastises a dreadfully inept (and obnoxious) 'wedding photographer'. Some of her shots literally look like something you'd get out of one of those photo booths in malls...ya know, with the flowers superimposed around a close up of the people's heads? Yikes.

05-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #24
mel
Veteran Member

I was discussing this sort of thing with a non-photographer co-worker not long ago. When I tried to explain what I do to the images in terms of composition and exposure corrections etc, she was all aghast and exclaimed "you mean you PHOTOSHOP EVERYTHING?!?" Like I was swapping out heads and adding palm trees or something. Geeze. The joys of ignorance.
05-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Next time he mentions the evils of photoshop, just say "Creative auto-mode" and walk away