Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #1

Do you not edit your photos?

Do you not edit your photos?

Last edited by Naturenut; 05-06-2010 at 05:22 AM.
05-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #2

Naturenut wrote: Do you not edit your photos?

My answer is simple: Fortunately I only edit those photos that need to be edited. Unfortunately, every photo that I want to keep needs to be edited. If only to sharpen it a bit!
05-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
lol @slmonk. I hear ya.
05-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
OK how about looking another way, if you where shooting film would you process yourself or just leave it to a local store to process for you???

Taking the image is just the start of the image creating process, whilst it would be nice to not have to use pp, it is a necessary requirement, no top photographer would allow an unprocessed image to go to a client.

I would love to meet a photographer who can get the image they want in camera & be truly happy with it.

05-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

"Editing" has always been an aspect of fine photography. "Default Edits" have always been an aspect of snapshot photography, whether mini lab, Mystic/Kodak/Seattle mail-processing, or equivalent. All 'fine' photographers, even the most sincere straight photography advocates, since the earliest film days, have paid attention to the variables ('manipulated') in order to produce a better print.

But perhaps digital is more like slide film? Here the opportunity to 'improve' things is mainly pre-shot rather than post - lighting etc is important, and the photographer's experience in understanding how film would respond was paramount.
05-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
...I had someone say to me recently after they asked if I did a lot of editing (quote is what they said to me): "I strive to take a picture that I really love and not have to edit if I don’t have to. So I’m capturing history, taking a picture rather than making a picture."
Whenever I hear people belittle the use of flash/photoshop/lighting/manual focus lenses/whatever, 99% of the time, it's because they're too ignorant to know how to use it and too stupid to admit it. It's as simple as that.

Chances are, his camera is doing some in-camera editing on the photos he's taking, he's just too stupid to realize it. Also, people have been "editing" their photos since the day of film. Photography isn't just a documentary form, but an art form.

The guy sounds like a pompous jackass with his "capturing history" schtick. He sounds like he was trying too hard to impress somebody.
05-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Honestly, I do something to every image I take and keep. While I shoot in RAW 99% now the same is true for my jpegs. What's different is that I used to think when I took a shot - ok, I'll fix that in the computer, now I try to get it right in the camera - as much as possible. That does help with post processing but sometimes there is a lot more to do with an image. I just depends. When I've heard comments like that it's generally in reference to an image being 'Photoshopped.' That's where the image is changed significantly (like heads switched or other silly stuff) beyond what the image was 'really.'

Finally, I'll echo all the comments above about the commenter and motives. I don't worry about this anymore - art is what it is.

05-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Tell him to go take a picture of something, then compare the picture itself, with the real thing. I bet it doesn't look identical to what the human eye see's when compared with what he just shot with the camera only.

Better yet, tell him to go do it at night under the street lights.

As said above, the people that say this crap are the ones too ignorant to try a decent editing program.
05-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
I had someone say to me recently after they asked if I did a lot of editing
Every one of that person's photos are edited. If not manually then by the settings that the person chose in-camera, and if no choice was made then by the default settings. ALL pictures are edited/processed. The only choice you get to make is whether you want to process them yourself, or leave it up to the software written by someone who wasn't there when the picture was taken so doesn't know exactly what the scene looked like.
I occasionally have people make the same or similar claim to me. My answer to them is usually something like: "Yeah, sometimes I get lazy myself and let the camera make the decisions". Or, "I used to feel like that, too, until I came to fully understand the process". That usually ends the debate.
05-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
graphicgr8s

Have to say I spend less time editing now than when I was developing my own film. Back then to cut a mask could take hours. Now just a few minutes to an hour depending on complexity. I would spend a lot of time figuring the right exposures for comp shots. Like has been said, if he's not editing then the camera is to get a jpeg.
05-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yes, just the simple fact of this person shooting raw means he does some sort of developing after the exposure. I call BS just like the rest of us have been so far.

Maybe he's an anti-manipulation guy, as in skewing the photo so far from the original, and then passing it off as original. Or he's got bad technique and therefore assumes all these other nice pictures he sees are somehow edited/shopped to make them good.
I was asked at an art show last fall "how much do you photoshop your stuff?"

It was hard for me to answer, since I do surprisingly little to most of my pictures. There are some that I go all out and mess with, but it's clear that's not how the scene was IRL.
I'm not against it, but many people are - they think "photoshopping" is somehow cheating. I guess they never worked in a darkroom with smelly chemicals and did some of that work by hand. Like Nesster said - even if you didn't do your own "editing" before and just sent your film out - someone did.

And unfortunately there are those amongst us who think if you've got a totally knock-your-socks-off picture (that they didn't take) somehow you must have done that in PS, and you really didn't "work" for it since digital is soooo easy. (/sarcasm off)

I wouldn't worry about what you're doing at all. Just my .02.
05-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #12

When I read the OP, I thought the same as blackcloudbrew in thinking that the person interpreted the word "edit" as photoshopping the picture, like removing a bush or tree, to change the picture from how it was captured. If someone was to ask me if I edit my pictures, I'd probably say the same thing.
05-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #13

Original Poster
Okay I pretty much thought it was a line of stupid BS too, but I had to see if it was just me. lol Yeah this person, I think, is full of shyte and was trying to make themselves feel better by 'bashing' me. Kinda sad really (and not the first time they've done it either). Oh well. And of course I always try to compose the best shot I can, that much is a given. But editing/processing goes hand in hand with photography, as some of you have already noted.
05-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Whenever I hear people belittle the use of flash/photoshop/lighting/manual focus lenses/whatever, 99% of the time, it's because they're too ignorant to know how to use it and too stupid to admit it. It's as simple as that.

Chances are, his camera is doing some in-camera editing on the photos he's taking, he's just too stupid to realize it. Also, people have been "editing" their photos since the day of film. Photography isn't just a documentary form, but an art form.

The guy sounds like a pompous jackass with his "capturing history" schtick. He sounds like he was trying too hard to impress somebody.
Pompous jackass...lol Now that's funny! And I think your statement was pretty much dead on.
05-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cabstar Quote
OK how about looking another way, if you where shooting film would you process yourself or just leave it to a local store to process for you???

Taking the image is just the start of the image creating process, whilst it would be nice to not have to use pp, it is a necessary requirement, no top photographer would allow an unprocessed image to go to a client.

I would love to meet a photographer who can get the image they want in camera & be truly happy with it.
This person fancys themselves as a photographer and sells stuff to local yokels who don't know any better. Personally, I couldn't accept money for an inferior product and maintain a clear conscience. Apparently, some people can though. lol