Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How do I simulate Color Vision Deficiency (colorblindness)

We recently discovered my son has deuteranopia, meaning that he can't see much of the green wavelengths of light. He clearly distinguishes reds and blues, but confuses colors from orange to green as well as having a hard time with purple to blue.

I am interested in learning better how he sees the world by taking pictures and post-processing them to simulate his vision. I have tried desaturating the green curve, but that doesn't look like the simulations I see on many websites.

Can anyone describe the best post-processing techniques (I use Paint Shop Pro) that I could use to simulate deuteranopia?

Thanks,

Kevin

05-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is probably a bit of a reach, but I will take a stab at it. First thing to remember...
Regardless of how you manipulate an image, you have no way of knowing whether that is what your son actually sees.
Perception is highly individual. The best you will be able to do is to produce an image that mimics his ability to discriminate between various shades. I know several people with various degrees of "color blindness" and all tell me that they see color just fine, but they have trouble telling the difference between certain shades that other people find distinct.

I would start with digital photos of the standardized color deficiency test deck and concentrate on the cards that are used to screen for deuteranopia. [Edit: Strike the following section...I misread deuteranomaly for deuteranopia] Using your image editing software, you will want to adjust the luminance (not saturation) of the green channel down until the test image looks like the color deficient pattern. On my version of PSP, that would be the Colors/Adjust/Levels dialog. Your version may be different. You may have to boost the luminance for the red channel slightly as well since you son's condition involves a sensitivity shift of the green photo-receptors towards the red.End Edit

Edit: Add this section
I don't know how this might be done...
End edit

Once you know the appropriate settings, you can apply those to other images.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-06-2010 at 05:55 PM.
05-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nothing concrete, but this site is great for showing you what a colorblind person sees. I myself am red-green colorblind, and I can vouch that the "colorblind"-ed images on here match the real images, for me. Hence, it is an accurate representation of what a colorblind person sees.

Vischeck

Last edited by krypticide; 05-07-2010 at 03:01 PM.
05-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Nothing concrete, but this site is great for showing you what a colorblind person sees. I myself am red-green colorblind, and I can vouch that the "colorblind"-ed images on here match the real images, for me. Hence, it is an accurate representation of what a colorblind person sees.
Is there a link missing or does "This site", meaning Pentax Forums?

Steve

05-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Oops, my bad...

Vischeck: About Daltonize
05-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Steve,

I'm using PSP X3, and the commands are a little different. I'm not finding the options to do what you describe. I keep ending up with a magenta photo (because I'm losing the green channel.)

Interestingly, I found a view filter for GIMP that perfectly simulates CVD. I'm surprised there isn't something like that for PSP (or if there is, I haven't found it).

Kevin

Last edited by klh; 05-08-2010 at 01:41 PM.
05-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Krypticide,

Thanks, that's an interesting website.

05-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
Inactive Account

It won't help you much with Paint Shop Pro, but just so you know, Photoshop CS4 and the new CS5 have this ability built-in. In the View menu go to Proof Setup > Colorblindness.
05-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
Steve,

I'm using PSP X3, and the commands are a little different. I'm not finding the options to do what you describe. I keep ending up with a magenta photo (because I'm losing the green channel.)

Interestingly, I found a view filter for GIMP that perfectly simulates CVD. I'm surprised there isn't something like that for PSP (or if there is, I haven't found it).

Kevin
It would not make much difference Kevin. My edits may not have been very clear, but you really can't make any adjustments that will approximate dichromacy (only having two out of the three types of color receptor cells).

Steve
05-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It would not make much difference Kevin. My edits may not have been very clear, but you really can't make any adjustments that will approximate dichromacy (only having two out of the three types of color receptor cells).

Steve
Thanks Steve.

I did find that Vischeck can work as a plugin for PSPX3. I overlooked it earlier because the plugin was written years ago, so I assumed it wouldn't work in X3.

Who knows how accurate it really is, but it gives me an idea on what he's seeing.
05-09-2010, 05:57 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Here's another web site you may find useful:
15 Tools If You Are (Not) Colorblind
05-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #12
Inactive Account

We recently discovered my son has deuteranopia
Try this site: Color Vision tool

Under Red-Green, deficiency section Deuteranopia is the fourth option.

Seaain
05-11-2010, 11:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Who knows how accurate it really is, but it gives me an idea on what he's seeing.
Well, as a colorblind guy, I can say that the simulated colorblind images on the Vischeck website is pretty much an exact match with what I see for the original image.