Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Slikypix=Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4?

I see people discussing Silkypix. Is this the same program as the Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 ("powered by Silkypix") that came with my K-x?

I have not been overly satisfied with what I can do in PP with PDCU v.4 with my RAW files, either because of my limitiated understanding of the program, or because of the limitations of the program. For example, I can get no better noise reduction from a RAW file than my K-x produces in a JPEG. Yet, I see examples on this forum of high ISO, detailed and smooth images. I am quite satisfied with what my K-x can do in high ISO, but I'd be even MORE satisfied to get what seems to be almost noiseless images.

I saw the other thread about which PP program to start out with; I am in the similar situation, but I don't want to spend $ if PDCU really is a decent program that, with more learning, can produce great results.

05-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #2

It uses the Silkypix engine, not sure which one. And it's stripped down compared to Silkypix. The interface is better on Silkypix, and it does more things. Download the trial.
05-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank Zorobabel n/t

no text (except this text)
05-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm a registered owner of SP Pro 4. I tried both the standard & pro versions and went for the pro version mainly for the dodging, which I use an lot. Image my surprise when I found that DCU (which uses the SP 4 engine) has dodging as well.

I process 100-300 photos every Saturday of U7 (last year) and now U8 (this year) soccer. I need the pre-defined tastes (sets of parameters), customised tastes and smooth batching (with the pro version you can keep working with the batch processing running in the background with little apprarent change in responsiveness). Early last year I used PPL v3 (uses SP v2 engine) but I could see this was impractical for large numbers of images.

Although PPL & DCU don't have tastes, you can copy & paste parameters from one fixed image to a tagged group of images. Can't remember if these two programs allow selective parameter pasting (say you only want to paste the colour set, exposure compensation & sharpening settings, but not contrast & rotation) like SP does.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 05-17-2010 at 08:31 PM.