Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

CS5 hdr

THe other day I was playing with the tone mapping ability in CS5. Today I went out and shot a couple of sets specifically to test the HDR function in CS5. The light was all over the map because the side windows are tinted & the windshield pretty much isn't. The sunroof is both tinted and has the perforated sun blocker.

For me, HDR in CS4 was painfully difficult. It wasn't very intuitive at all, and I quickly got frustrated trying to use it. HDR in CS5 however, is a whole different ball game. Easy to use and it seems to be quicker than CS4 HDR as well.

This is three shots (-2, 0, +2) from the DA 10-17 fisheye run through the CS5 HDR module as RAW files. Files were straight from the camera. Bear in mind that this is my first shot at trying this. Somebody with more knowledge could very likely get better results, but I think this is indicative of what a novice can accomplish.

I feel this is a vast improvement over the HDR module in CS4. I may actually start shooting with HDR in mind now.

05-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fun! they should make in-car advertisements using fisheye lenses. Makes me want to go out and drive in a zippy car on a nice day.
05-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Yes, I've played with it a little and it seems promising. Especially nice is being able to choose a "master" frame to eliminate ghosting of moving objects.
05-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
graphicgr8s

Only thing I see is the exterior looks to fake. Almost cartoonish. Something most forget is that HDR isn't for every picture. You wouldn't put ketchup on ice cream would you?

05-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Only thing I see is the exterior looks to fake. Almost cartoonish. Something most forget is that HDR isn't for every picture. You wouldn't put ketchup on ice cream would you?
Operator error to be sure. I don't particularly like the cartoon effect for most shots either, but my technique at this point is unrefined.

And I'll agree, not every scene is a candidate for a HDR/tone map process. But I'd defy anyone to create this shot with a single frame and preserve the details inside & outside the car with all the varied light levels.

And I don't put ketchup on anything.

p.s.- this shot was not run through a tone mapping process, it's straight out of the CS5 HDR module.

Last edited by bimjo; 05-10-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added tone map comment
05-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree about the new HDR features in CS5. The sliders are much easier to adjust than the curves in the older version. And the anti-ghosting feature is much more accurate than Photomatix. I took this with a Canon G10, adjusting the exposure compensation dial between each shot. I got noticeable misalignment between frames. Photoshop did a nice job for getting things straight.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend A City in Photographs 365
05-11-2010, 05:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Operator error to be sure. I don't particularly like the cartoon effect for most shots either, but my technique at this point is unrefined.

And I'll agree, not every scene is a candidate for a HDR/tone map process. But I'd defy anyone to create this shot with a single frame and preserve the details inside & outside the car with all the varied light levels.

p.s.- this shot was not run through a tone mapping process, it's straight out of the CS5 HDR module.
It looks like the saturation needs to tweaked just a bit. Sometimes the default settings will do that.

I use Photomatix, and it has two options for tonemapping, details enhancement, and tone compression. The details enhancement tends to make super saturated colors, while the tone compressor looks more realistic with minimal tweaking needed.

When I processed this yesterday, the details enhanced option was way to saturated, and I couldn't make the colors look right.

It worked much better using tone compression:

05-11-2010, 05:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
It looks like the saturation needs to tweaked just a bit. Sometimes the default settings will do that.

I use Photomatix, and it has two options for tonemapping, details enhancement, and tone compression. The details enhancement tends to make super saturated colors, while the tone compressor looks more realistic with minimal tweaking needed.

When I processed this yesterday, the details enhanced option was way to saturated, and I couldn't make the colors look right.

It worked much better using tone compression:
Showoff!

05-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote

Jim, I didn't say I didn't like the shot. Actually I do for some unknown reason. Well might be because of the fisheye. I like Dave's shot because it looks real. There is detail in the shadow while still having a solid black and was done but not overdone.
05-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Jim, I didn't say I didn't like the shot. Actually I do for some unknown reason. Well might be because of the fisheye. I like Dave's shot because it looks real. There is detail in the shadow while still having a solid black and was done but not overdone.
I didn't take it that way. I don't particularly care for the garish colors myself. The detail in the shadows is quite good I think vs. the highlights out the windshield.

I was impressed with how easy it is to get a decent result vs. previous version of CS for a novice user.

I'll try and reduce the saturation like Dave suggested and repost the shot if it turns out. Don't hold your breath.
05-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
redux

Redo. Do-over. Mulligan. Whatever.

The first attempt.

And the first redo attempt.

Lowered the saturation and increased the contrast after the HDR conversion. Looks much better and the colors are much more true. I could learn to like this. Probably wasn't the best shot to use as a first effort though.
05-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
graphicgr8s

Probably wasn't the best as you noted. Nothing in any version that couldn't have been done with double processing.