Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Trouble with my Epson 1400

Ok, I have a decent color calibrated Dell monitor (using an Xrite Eye-One-Display 2) and a respectable Epson 1400.

I have had consistent issues with 'red' tones on my Epson. Performing a inkjet test does not show any indications of a clogged printhead. Still, I have performed the head cleaning runs to no avail.

Here is a specific example of what I've been running into. I have a Photoshop image that appears as a red/maroon to orange gradient on my monitor and about a dozen others I've seen it on with some minor variants. But in all cases it's red or orangeish.

However, when printed on my Epson 1400 it's brown to orange.

I have taken this test image to two different professional photo print shops and on their printers it looks correct as on my screen and theirs. These aren't drug stores or a wallmart. These are independent photo print shops so they have good hardware.

I am using exclusively Epson papers with OEM Epson ink. I am printing in Lightroom 2.6 and am fairly certain that I have it set up correctly. I have have turned off all color management. It is set to Premium Photo Paper Glossy, Photo RPM, all options are checked off. Under color management it's set to ICM with the OFF box checked for no color management.

As I understand it, this is the correct set up so that the lightroom profiles will control everything.

Within Lightroom, Under color management in the print module, I have paper type set to Glossy, the profile is SP 1400 1410 PGPP, and the rendering intent is set to relative (though I've also tried absolute).

To reiterate, I am using original Epson Premium Photo Paper Glossy for my output.

Can anyone suggest somewhere I"m going wrong? I am convinced it is not an issue with my monitor or it's color calibration as the image displays the same on the other photo quality monitors I have seen it on. And it prints correctly on their printers. I believe it is either an issue with the printer itself or something I am doing wrong in the print setup in lightroom and/or photoshop.

Here is the image...

Any help will be MUCH appreciated. Thanks,

Ken

05-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my small experience with printing, I had always increased curves by about 30% prior to printing. Perhaps a similar adjustment like this is what you need? Keep in mind that on paper, colors are typically darker than on the screen.
05-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Is the image tagged with a colour space? If not - and you haven't said it is, so for now I'll assume it's not - you need to open the image and assign a profile, such as Adobe RGB. Check to see whether the image still looks fine, tweaking if necessary, then save it and try reprinting.

Another possibility is that the deepest colours fall outside the gamut of your paper/printer combo. Images with really saturated colours are sometimes best printed using perceptual rendering intent. This will alter some colours (essentially reducing saturation across the board) but maintain the relationship between all the colours, so that the image will still appear 'correct'.