Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #1

?? iPhoto/Aperture adds red hue to RAW - Lightroom does not

Having recently purchased a K-x, I've been experimenting as much as I can not just with taking pictures, but with the processing of them as well. In a nutshell, I've been trying to figure out the best way to process/manage the photos I'll be taking from here on. In addition to iPhoto, I downloaded the demo of Aperture 3 and the Lightroom 3 beta 2 demo, as well as installed PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4.

I have a preexisting photo library of about 4000 photos that I've been managing in iPhoto, and would prefer to either stay in it or move to Aperture (thus keeping all my tags, events, etc.). However, when processing the same photos in all of these programs, I've noticed something that would maybe cause me to move away from Apple programs.

There is a red tint to photos when I import them in iPhoto & Aperture that can't be found in Lightroom & PENTAX Digital Camera Utility. This occurs with both indoors & outdoors photos, taken while using several different settings (Auto Pict, Landscape, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority).

Is this the result of a setting in the Apple programs that I haven't discovered, or is simply a matter of how each individual program deals with RAW conversion?

05-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's how each individual program handles raw conversion. You might send a bug ticket to Apple and let them know. It sometimes happens with newer cameras that raw conversion algorithms don't get it right until a software update comes along.

If the cast is consistent set up a preset for correction the batch run it after import. It's an extra step but not too much of one.

I didn't like the first Adobe raw conversion for my K20D. It had a slight greenish cast, very slight, but there. The newest version of ACR gets it better. Aperture got the color spot on for my camera. Go figure.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365
05-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quick question. I know you're running the Aperture 3 demo, but did you download the latest updates and the last Apple RAW update? I think both mentioned the KX & K7. Aperture should be 3.0.3.
05-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Have you installed Raw Compatibility 3.2? 3.1 is a known problem for messing up the colour of RAW files out of the K-x and K-7 which I experienced first hand. Also, are you shooting DNG or PEF?

I’m shooting DNG, have Aperture 3.0.3 and Raw compatibility 3.2 installed and don’t have the same problem as you.

05-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
The trial version is 3.0.3, and all updates have been installed that pop up in Software Update. The RAW compatibility update was already installed when it first came out, as it also applied to iPhoto, so it was already there when I installed the demo.

I'm shooting PEF (as in, that's the file type that shows up on the SD card).

I did some snooping on the Aperture support forum, and it appears that there are others that are having the same problem with raws from the K-x and from other cameras.
05-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

All I'd suggest is trying DNG, it's a more open standard and thererfore more likely to be interpreted correctly.
05-10-2010, 10:43 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
All I'd suggest is trying DNG, it's a more open standard and thererfore more likely to be interpreted correctly.
Didn't think about that possibility - did a little reading up on DNG vs PEF.

Then, I took some of the files from today and converted them into DNG using Adobe DNG Converter. Then, I placed both file formats in a separate folder and imported them into both Aperture & Lightroom.

The same effect arose - a reddish pink hue was applied in Aperture (I witnessed it when the photos were first opened in the program and the Loading message appeared), with no such hue in Lightroom.

An addendum:

As soon as I pressed the Auto RGB button in the Adjustments section of the Aperture window, it produced a image very similar to that which Lightroom produces. It'd be a bit annoying to have to do that with each file, however. And seeing how it's not a preset, I couldn't adjust the Import Settings to complete that task automatically. I sorta feel like I shouldn't have to, either. :P

Last edited by Avilion; 05-10-2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Observation regarding Aperture Auto Separate RGB
05-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Until Apple gets their raw import right, adjust one photo for correct color. If you have a color chart, that's best. Save the preset and then you can batch apply it to all photos. If others are having the same problems you might find a preset in a forum. Aperture 3 caught up to Lightroom and can import presets.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365
05-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Avilion Quote
As soon as I pressed the Auto RGB button in the Adjustments section of the Aperture window, it produced a image very similar to that which Lightroom produces. It'd be a bit annoying to have to do that with each file, however. And seeing how it's not a preset, I couldn't adjust the Import Settings to complete that task automatically. I sorta feel like I shouldn't have to, either. :P
It's very easy to set up presets and to instruct Aperture to apply them on imports. Do it once and it will apply that preset for every import from then on unless you tell it otherwise.

Eg, I've made one to do auto exposure adjustment, bump the contrast by 0.03, do an auto curves adjustment and an edge sharpen. That took all of 2 minutes to create and change the import settings to use it. That gives me a decent starting point on my photos. It would be nice to also be able to auto adjust the recovery slider until there were no hot areas but I haven't figured that one out yet.
05-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've seen the same problem a lot with my K-x. I'll try the auto RGB when I get home. I've also found that lately when I use raw+Jpeg the jpegs look great and the raws are so dark that they are almost unusable. I've heard that is caused by shadow and highlight correction being on. I'm going to turn them off and see if that fixes that problem. I wish apple would get their act together on raw processing for pentax!