Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #1

Using filters with the Omega D5XL...

I just got an Omega D5XL with the DV Universal Variable Condenser Lamphouse, but now that it's home, I can't figure out how to use the Ilford multigrade filter pack with it. There's no obvious filter drawer, as I've used with other enlargers, and it's not a variable contrast or color head, so I can't dial in the contrast.

Do I just hold the filter under the lens as I print? Do I lay it on top of the condenser, under the lamp? I would hate to have to wait until I go back to New York later this summer to find some part I accidentally left behind...

05-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jzietman Quote
I just got an Omega D5XL with the DV Universal Variable Condenser Lamphouse, but now that it's home, I can't figure out how to use the Ilford multigrade filter pack with it. There's no obvious filter drawer, as I've used with other enlargers, and it's not a variable contrast or color head, so I can't dial in the contrast.

Do I just hold the filter under the lens as I print? Do I lay it on top of the condenser, under the lamp? I would hate to have to wait until I go back to New York later this summer to find some part I accidentally left behind...
What size of filters do you have?

If they're the most common type, they'll just need a filter holder under the lens. The clamp-on type isn't too hard to find. I may even have one kicking around here. It sounds like they may be bigger than that, though.
05-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
B&W contrast adj.

Hi J,
only help I can offer is generic in regards to your Omega, but here goes anyway...
pic is a AC reostat made by Bessler in early 70's, to address situation as yours.

supply input is lower left corner,side, brown 2 prong cord cap on cord
output directly above, feeds enlarger
test port is on top of unit, I made patch cord... male cord cap/male banana
to my meter.

you should be able to use a regular incandescent lamp dimmer.
show your buddy this pic and I think he'll pick up on it and have you
up and running for around $20.

wouldnt do anything until other, more expirenced people
weigh in with their thoughts. All I've ever used was 23c
I still use that thing by the way, its the heart and soul of a
hot-wire styrofoam cutter I made.
Attached Images

05-16-2010, 05:58 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Variable Contrast Omega Enlarger

"Back in the day", when my darkroom functioned, I used to use the large size VC filters and layed them right on top of the negative carrier. The light path was from the source, through the filter and then through the negative and so on. This way the relatively cheap filters were not actually in the image path, but actually helped to difuse the light source while modifying the contrast. (Omega D2 with Zone VI cold diffusion head using all negative sizes from 35mm to 4X5).

05-16-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

As Ratmagiclady wrote: the Ilford VC filters were (are?) available either as slot in types for a use in the printhead or with their own dedicated filter holder, which clamps to the lens with the help of three set screws. This latter modell fits basically everywhere.

I would not place the filters directly on top of the condenser - its too hot there (unless you use a CFL or whatever as a light source, but then you would use a shutter unit).

I guess it should be easy to make you own below-the-lens filter holder from some cardboard and tape.

Ben
05-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hmm, a number of people on photo.net have said that it's fine to use the filters on top of the condenser without an extra layer of heat-absorbing glass as long as I'm using the 75W bulb (which I am). If that doesn't work, though, calicojack's idea of putting the filter on top of the negative carrier might work, though I'd probably have to refocus each time I change filter.
05-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Hmm, a number of people on photo.net have said that it's fine to use the filters on top of the condenser without an extra layer of heat-absorbing glass as long as I'm using the 75W bulb (which I am). If that doesn't work, though, calicojack's idea of putting the filter on top of the negative carrier might work, though I'd probably have to refocus each time I change filter.
I gather it's larger ones you have, then? If they fit in there, that's probably what they were doing. I recall we had some that I think were used in a bit of a frame in a lab where I worked, though this was for papers we honestly didn't use that often, so I'm a little vague on where they were placed. Over the negative would probably work best.
05-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #8

Original Poster
At the moment I only have 3.5x3.5 filters, but I just bought a set of 6x6 filters which I will cut down if necessary. It sounds like the filter drawer (which I don't have) goes on an unused shelf in the variable condenser compartment, but just laying a filter in there should do fine.

05-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

At the moment I only have 3.5x3.5 filters, but I just bought a set of 6x6 filters which I will cut down if necessary. It sounds like the filter drawer (which I don't have) goes on an unused shelf in the variable condenser compartment, but just laying a filter in there should do fine.
Well, your small ones, you can in fact just hold in front of the lens. The holder isn't too expensive, either, but it's handy enough and not too hard to find. I've got a tendency to use different filters for my dodging and burning than the main exposure, anyway, so it's actually fairly convenient.
05-17-2010, 05:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Filters with Omega D5XL

Hi J,
reo I showed is from an enviroment were continuous use
would result in so much heat, use of any filters other than glass was
almost impossible.
Was wondering if you might be able to fab some sort of holding appliance
maybe cardboard, cut with a mat cutter, along the lines of neg. carrier
could place above condensor, not worry about curling or filter drawing
towards heat, duty cycle should be short enough were heat isnt that big
of an issue.
05-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Not cheap, but by far the most convenient solution:

LINK: Omega swing-away under lens filter holder

Chris
05-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here I found what I meant with respect to the original Ilford filter set and holder:
Amazon.com: Ilford Multigrade Contrast Filter Set for Below Lens Use, Set of 12 Filters & Holder.: Electronics

All complete in a convenient package and fits any common enlarger lens.

Ben