Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why I LOVE Photoshop - Before and After

I Love my PENTAX K-x. Great DSLR Camera.
I shoot in color mode and use post processing to create black and whites. I just wanted to share a sample image I used to create a stunning black and white image.

On the left is the shot with a standard black and white adjustment layer. On the right is my processed shot using curves and masks to bring out details in each area: statue eyes, bricks and trees. I also uses transform effects to remove the lens distortion and make things level.

If you are not using Photoshop, I suggest you go out and buy it. Its well worth the expense! I have never used Lightroom but know others that have. Can you create layers with curves and masks as well?

Here's my shots:

05-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photoshop is definitely a live-saver is many situations!

For those that don't want to drop the inordinate amount of money for a legal copy, I recommend a similar, free alternative: GIMP, found at GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program. It isn't quite as advanced, but it has almost all the same features, such as levels, curves, layers, sharpening, cropping, rotating, perspective, etc.

I'm moving this thread to the post-processing forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
graphicgr8s

One thing I notice right off the bat is you've plugged up the shadows. Use the mask to open them up again. Remember on a mask you can use levels of black/white to vary the effects.

I love photoshop also and after my beta test copy expires will buy CS5. Truth is without PS my job would be much harder. (I use it about every day)
05-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You've also blown the highlights, I'm afraid. To be honest, this is an example of what I don't love about Photoshop: the way it has become a substitute for good technique. A bit more care with the composition and exposure (zone system anyone?) and you wouldn't have had anything to fix. Still, I take your point - it is a wondrous piece of software that is an essential tool for many people - including me!