Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K7 high ISO(2500) noise management

Here's a K7 ISO2500 image I worked on for a fellow Pentaxian(Adam A) from dpreview. He agreed to let me use this image in part for an advanced noise management tutorial I've been working on(very kindly). And so I thought I would share the preliminaries here as well.

META: Pentax K7, ISO2500, 35mm, 1/60, f/5

The initial image suffered from 1 stop of under exposure, artifacts and banding(horizontal). It was processed in ACR6 and TopazDenoise v4 with intent to print full size(resolution). All in all, I'd say the final composite turned out very good. The total PP time for this image was approximately 15 mins. However, final IQ and PP times would have improved with better exposure(so next time perhaps).

Having achieved favorable results with the K20D, I'm now looking for K7 candidates(RAW files) that I could use to develop and refine a max ISO workflow also. So if you are interested in helping out, please PM me so we can make the necessary arrangements for the files.

The objective is to design a tutorial for K7 owners that would allow them to shoot at ISO3200(or higher) without compromise(reduced file size, b&w etc etc). And based on the results above, we have good reason to conclude such a goal possible.

JB

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-01-2011 at 11:06 AM.
05-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #2

Tell me what you need. I just got my k7, and defiantly enjoy playing with the buttons.

I will be shooting this saturday at an old train yard/museum. Is that ok? or would you like food pictures?
05-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ASammet Quote
Tell me what you need. I just got my k7, and defiantly enjoy playing with the buttons.

I will be shooting this saturday at an old train yard/museum. Is that ok? or would you like food pictures?
Wow, thanks-you for stepping-up!
Food pictures are not necessary(that was a submission from another user).
However, I would love to get my hands on the following:

ISO3200 PEF
1/60 - 1/320 Shutter
Multi-segment Exp.
NR/OFF

For the most part, I guess it really doesn't really matter what the shot is, though a scene with ample shadow regions may prove to be more helpful than a brighter scene(ex: trees and foliage etc). Also... what are the chance that you could take two images of the same samples? ie. one ISO200 image and one ISO3200 image. This way, we could reference both images and gauge the overall effectiveness of the PP on the higher sensitivity image.

Let me know what you think.
And thanks again for coming forward.
JB
05-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Here's a K7 ISO2500 image I worked on for a fellow Pentaxian(Adam A) from dpreview. He agreed to let me use this image in part for an advanced noise management tutorial I've been working on(very kindly). And so I thought I would share the preliminaries here as well.

META: Pentax K7, ISO2500, 35mm, 1/60, f/5

The initial image suffered from 1 stop of under exposure, artifacts and banding(horizontal). It was processed in ACR6 and TopazDenoise v4 with intent to print full size(resolution). All in all, I'd say the final composite turned out very good. The total PP time for this image was approximately 15 mins. However, final IQ and PP times would have improved with better exposure(so next time perhaps).

Having achieved favorable results with the K20D, I'm now looking for K7 candidates(RAW files) that I could use to develop and refine a max ISO workflow also. So if you are interested in helping out, please PM me so we can make the necessary arrangements for the files.

The objective is to design a tutorial for K7 owners that would allow them to shoot at ISO3200(or higher) without compromise(reduced file size, b&w etc etc). And based on the results above, we have good reason to conclude such a goal possible.

JB
John,
I am also willing to get you some pics taken at high ISO with my K7. I remember having previously asked you whether you'd be doing some tutoring for the K7 noise handling as you did for the K20D.
I always shoot RAW, so that wouldn't be a problem.
I have ssome pics taken at 1000-1250 ISO, but not as high as you need.

So, I see that you want:
ISO3200 PEF
1/60 - 1/320 Shutter
Multi-segment Exp.
NR/OFF

Would DNG format OK? Not a problem for me to switch to PEF if that is what you want.
Also: any f-stop(s) in particular?

Cheers.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 05-19-2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added info
05-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
So, I see that you want:
ISO3200 PEF
1/60 - 1/320 Shutter
Multi-segment Exp.
NR/OFF

Would DNG format OK? Not a problem for me to switch to PEF if that is what you want.
Also: any f-stop(s) in particular?
Absolutely no problems with DNG!
And any f stop would work too. Though the more real world conditions we can add into the mix, the more meaning the results will be provide us with.

Thanks for your help with this also!
05-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Absolutely no problems with DNG!
And any f stop would work too. Though the more real world conditions we can add into the mix, the more meaning the results will be provide us with.

Thanks for your help with this also!
John,

Well, in that case, I will start doing some K7 high ISO shooting as soon as the "long weekend" is over. (Québec holiday weekend thing)
As I am hosting a few guests: 2 daughters and a friend of their's, it will be busy.
I will PM you as per instructed.
Have a great wekend!

JP
05-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why >1/60th?

05-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Why >1/60th?
As a means to average things out in RW shooting conditions. ie. most people push sensitivities to compensate for lower lighting(action and sports aside).
05-30-2010, 10:31 PM   #9

Well I have a few samples for you, unfortunately it totally slipped my mind when I was out that you wanted specific shutter speeds. Would you still like to see them?
05-31-2010, 06:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I have a few samples for you, unfortunately it totally slipped my mind when I was out that you wanted specific shutter speeds. Would you still like to see them?
Absolutely yes!
05-31-2010, 08:45 AM   #11

How do you want them?
05-31-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How do you want them?
You comfortable with ftp?
Otherwise, we could use a file sharing service.
I'm flexible...

You could send them(directly ) over MSN messenger also, whatever works best for you. Though email isn't a good choice(size limitations etc).
05-31-2010, 11:29 AM   #13

Sure. Do you have one set up already?
05-31-2010, 12:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sure. Do you have one set up already?
Hi, I sent you a PM with the details.
05-31-2010, 12:56 PM   #15