Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Major problem with Lightroom 2

Hey folks,

So all of a sudden, while I'm trying to export a set of RAW files (with Develop module edits) into JPEG files, my comp freezes up or the Lightroom program just bites the dust and crashes.

I tried different sets of images and they all seem to be facing that same problem. Lightroom is constantly crashing on me O_o...

What's going on?! Any help would be GREATLY appreciaed!!

05-18-2010, 05:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,
I can't help if you run on Apple. If it's windows, try to run Resources monitor and look in Windows event log files. Also, you can try to re-install LR.
Good luck,
05-18-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
it's on PC.
Resource monitor... where do I find that?

I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Lightroom with no luck...
I noticed that the CPU usage shoots up to 100% (and stays there) when I try to export jpegs... does that seem normal?

I'm running on AMD Athlon Mobile 2200 with 1 GB of RAM.
05-18-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
it's on PC.
Resource monitor... where do I find that?

I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Lightroom with no luck...
I noticed that the CPU usage shoots up to 100% (and stays there) when I try to export jpegs... does that seem normal?

I'm running on AMD Athlon Mobile 2200 with 1 GB of RAM.
Adobe LR is a ram hog,go to preferences and under performance increase ram for LR to use.although 1GB of ram is a bit low for Adobe apps.

05-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Try this:

Edit/ Catalog Settings/ Optimize Catalog.

It might help.
05-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On a mac, open the terminal and type 'top'. Then, run lightroom and see what is displayed: this might be a issue with ram, or the process might just be crashing.
05-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If optimizing the catalog doesn't work, try creating a new one and reimport the photos. Try 5 images and see how it works, and if it does try a larger batch.

As far as as CPU usage spiking to 100%, that is normal in general, more so in your situation with a slower processor and barely enough RAM to run the OS plus LR.

05-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How big is your hard drive, and how much room is left?
you could be swamping the swap file.
05-19-2010, 12:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hmm... ya know what... I think the problem came about due to overheating. MY room was really hot last night and for some reason, now that it's cooler, my program works fine.

I will definitely optimize my catalog though. Definitely need get it efficiently running as I keep making it grow more and more!!

Yeah... and I know my comp is getting slow. Looking to upgrade...
I'll run Lightroom a couple more times to see if it's back to working shape to confirm that it was simply overheating. In that case, it may be time to buy a can of compressed air again... and a new computer in the near future.
05-19-2010, 02:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I think the problem came about due to overheating.
Good call. Very likely the case for intermittent, unexpected machine problems - where there were none previously. And Very difficult for anyone but yourself to diagnose.

Hope thats it... certainly cheaper than buying another Gig or three of RAM.
(which you should probably think about doing anyway, if only for your own sanity when running memory hungry OS and software) :-)
05-19-2010, 09:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I will. I'm so used to Lightroom running so slow, I thought it was fast!

And looks like I may need to find a cooler room to operate too.
05-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You might want to verify that's your problem. If overheating was the issue, you would see Windows crashes, not just LR. You would also hear your fan working overtime trying to keep it cool.
05-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well, it's cooled down and thus my room has cooled down... and I've been successful in exporting jpegs. No problem.

When the heat hits again, might be time to blow out the dust again and maybe upgrade to a newer computer. My CPU is taking a hit from Lightroom's CPU hunger!
05-21-2010, 02:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Unless you're going to buy new anyway, you might look into warranty or even non-warranty repair. If it is an HP laptop, they have notorious problems with overheating. HP will refuse to accept the blame at first, but push them and you should be able to get a repair.
Do some searches for your model of laptop.

Unless the ambient temp is very high or if you are not letting air get to the fans, the laptop should not shut down from being used.

Of course a cheap alternative is to get one of those USB powered fan cooling plates that the laptop can sit on.
05-21-2010, 06:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
strangely enough, it's not a laptop :P
It's a custom built desktop with about 4 fans going too!

I have a feeling some dust is in the vid card and/or CPU fans. Hmm...