Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
You are definitely buying your ram in the wrong place. Crucial has a 4gig kit for the current Mini for $113, and that was the first place I tried. I do agree on some level however, because at that point the bigger hard disk and faster processor are probably worth the extra money.
Apple is only charging $100 for a 4GB upgrade. Having upgraded a mini I can say it is not something the average user is going to be able to do. Apple really isn't ripping people off for RAM anymore.

05-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Absolutely priceless!

How hard were you laughing at the time?
I did everything in my power to hold it back though I am sure he saw the "what the... " look on my face when he handed me the MacBook and I saw the very familiar Win7 desktop.
05-28-2010, 09:06 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Apple is only charging $100 for a 4GB upgrade. Having upgraded a mini I can say it is not something the average user is going to be able to do. Apple really isn't ripping people off for RAM anymore.
Wow - I'm quite surprised, but you are right! In the past that same upgrade cost more than jumping to the higher model!
05-29-2010, 05:41 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why an iPad and a Mac mini are my computing future

05-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #35
Veteran Member

As you don't explain what the purpose of the link is, I'm assuming you're just pointing out how people are replacing their standard Macs with Minis.

There is nothing wrong with the mini as long as its CPU and RAM specs suffice. I love how quiet and small they are, and they're no certainly no slouch. And other than motherboard limitations, there's really no reason why it couldn't handle 8+ GB of RAM, which would make them even more capable.

On the other hand, the comments about the iPad are certainly more interesting than the blog post. So many users point out how thinking of the iPad as a standard computer replacement is not necessarily the best way to go about it. It's the same thing with the cheapie $300 Netbooks in PC-land and with the few Android OS tablets coming out.
05-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote
As you don't explain what the purpose of the link is, I'm assuming you're just pointing out how people are replacing their standard Macs with Minis.

There is nothing wrong with the mini as long as its CPU and RAM specs suffice. I love how quiet and small they are, and they're no certainly no slouch. And other than motherboard limitations, there's really no reason why it couldn't handle 8+ GB of RAM, which would make them even more capable.

On the other hand, the comments about the iPad are certainly more interesting than the blog post. So many users point out how thinking of the iPad as a standard computer replacement is not necessarily the best way to go about it. It's the same thing with the cheapie $300 Netbooks in PC-land and with the few Android OS tablets coming out.
With all due respect, I have been using my netbook pretty much exclusively for the last year (Running OS X), and it's really not that bad. Of course the computer before it was an 800mhz TiBook, so my opinion may be just a little skewed.
05-30-2010, 05:07 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What needs explaining. It's just an opinion piece from a guy who plans to replace his MacBook Pro with an iPad and his iMac with a Mac mini server. The MacBook Pro would become his desktop computer.

The iPad is not, and is not sold as, a standard computer replacement. It is an information device that can handle most of the tasks of a laptop but requires a computer for syncing files. Most Netbooks are purchased by cheap-skates thinking they a getting a laptop. As far a RAM goes, there is no MB limitation on the amount of RAM a mini can take other than the fact that there are only 2 SODIMM slots. 8 GB is the max because no one makes a SODIMM bigger than 4 GB. If you are willing to spend $250-315 on a 8 GB (2x4GB) kit nothing is stopping you from doing so. You just can't get if from the factory that way.

05-30-2010, 06:14 AM   #38
Veteran Member

What needs explaining. It's just an opinion piece from a guy who plans to replace his MacBook Pro with an iPad and his iMac with a Mac mini server. The MacBook Pro would become his desktop computer.
Actually - not quite - He clearly states "Namely, I am planning to replace my MacBook Pro with an iPad and my iMac with a Mac mini."

QuoteQuote:
The iPad is not, and is not sold as, a standard computer replacement.
We agree there, but end-users, including many in this forum who've posted questions about LR and PS on iPads seem to think otherwise. I have users at work who also don't realize the severe limitations of netbooks.

QuoteQuote:
Most Netbooks are purchased by cheap-skates thinking they a getting a laptop.
That's a very narrow-minded view, but you could say the same of some people buying the cheapest iPad over the lightest Mac available, the Air, at 3x the price. By your logic, I would surmise that iPad buyers are cheapskates too.

QuoteQuote:
As far a RAM goes, there is no MB limitation on the amount of RAM a mini can take other than the fact that there are only 2 SODIMM slots.
Actually there is. Beyond the physical number of slots on a device, firmware (BIOS) and the OS limits the amount of usable RAM any system can handle.

And yes- the Mini can only handle two SODIMM chips - that's what I said when I pointed out "other than motherboard limitations" there was no reason why you couldn't go beyond 8 GB.
05-30-2010, 06:50 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually - not quite - He clearly states "Namely, I am planning to replace my MacBook Pro with an iPad and my iMac with a Mac mini."
QuoteQuote:
Once the iPad arrives, the MacBook Pro will live out the rest of its life as my home "desktop" computer, happily hooked to an external monitor and keyboard.
QuoteQuote:
My current 24" iMac is in good health, and I hope that we have many more years together. However, if it died one day after AppleCare expired, I would not hesitate at all to replace it with a Mac mini....... For my computing needs, the mini will be plenty powerful enough, and in fact, I would probably look at the server model that comes with two internal hard drives.
That's a very narrow-minded view, but you could say the same of some people buying the cheapest iPad over the lightest Mac available, the Air, at 3x the price. By your logic, I would surmise that iPad buyers are cheapskates too.
Not at all. Most iPad buyers are not under the delusion that the iPad is the same as a laptop. When Netbooks were first introduced, and ran Linux, the target demo was very small, geeks who wanted a device smaller than a laptop but larger than an iPhone to check mail and surf the web. After M$ muscled in the target demo changed to people too cheap to buy a real computer. Netbook and low-margin PC sales have been disastrous for Dell, HP, et al.
05-30-2010, 08:29 AM   #40
Veteran Member

You're quoting his short term plans, however that doesn't change his intent to eventually replace his macbook pro with an iPad. And let me be clear - if the devices fit his needs, then fantastic. That's been my point all along. The only difference between our varying points is that I am not married to one technology or one brand.

And Netbook sales have pretty much flattened out and the market predictions are quite dire as expectations are that sales will continue to flatten then eventually drop. Once iPads hit the market, netbook sales took a further hit.

Now that the Android tablets are hitting the market, you can rest assured Netbook sales will continue to drop and the real fight for that segment will turn to a iPad v Android-pad battle. Funny that Microsoft and their Windows Mobile CE/6.5/7 pretty much got left behind in the dust even when they were the only mobile OS in the market.
05-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #41
Inactive Account

Hi Jonathan,
If you are not in a rush, you may appreciate to wait the Mac Mini to appear on the Apple Store Refurb.
Last May 11th, you could have get a 2 GHz , 2GB, 320 GB, 256MB video for CAD 549 $ which is a rebate of 42%; but when they're displayed, you only have only few hours to order them as they are gone very fast!
Just my 2 cents
05-30-2010, 11:24 PM   #42
Veteran Member

... After M$ muscled in the target demo changed to people too cheap to buy a real computer. ...
So I'm "too cheap to buy a real computer"? Did you ever think that maybe I was well aware that I could have bought a "real" laptop for the same price as what I paid for my netbook? Maybe, just maybe, I was willing to end up paying more in the log run once I upgraded the ram and added an external DVD burner just for the benefit of the extreme portability?

Also, did you think that it might be that many people that buy netbooks cannot afford a better computer? Or perhaps many people just don't feel the need to have a multi-core energy guzzling space heater of a computer to do the things 90% of computer users do 99.9% of the time, surf the web & check email?

Nah, you're right, we netbook users are all just cheap.
06-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, just as an update, I ended up with a PC. Sorry folks :ugh:

Anyways, my reason for going with a PC (an Acer Aspire AX1300) loaded with 6 gigs of RAM, 1 TB hard drive and Intel E8300 Quadcore processing, 9 USB ports, ESata and preloaded with Windows 7. All this for $500 bucks. A semi-equivalent Mac Mini would've cost me $900+.

It's no gaming machine (integrated video Intel chipset) but it's very good at pounding out jpegs in Lightroom, which was my main purpose of purchasing it in the first place.

I really do like the Mac but at this time budget was a huge factor. And the differential was large enough for me to stick with a PC. Windows 7 has been very good so far, although I don't doubt that Snow Leopard is an awesome beast on its own
06-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #44
Inactive Account

It's really not that hard to upgrade a mac mini. You basically pry it open on two sides with a putty knife (no kidding). An online guide with pictures is here:

Installing Mac mini Model A1176 RAM - iFixit

I upgraded my older Core Duo model to 2GB ram and 600GB hard drive (Its a little over 600GB forget exact size). Only things to remember about the older Core Solo and Core Duo models is that they are limited to 2GB memory (firmware limitation). The Core 2 Duo models can go to 4GB. Also you can't fit a 2.5 inch SATA hard drive bigger than 9mm thick (height). Other then that, upgrade away and have a party.

Last edited by ptempel; 06-01-2010 at 01:50 PM.
06-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ptempel Quote
It's really not that hard to upgrade a mac mini. You basically pry it open on two sides with a putty knife (no kidding). An online guide with pictures is here:

Installing Mac mini Model A1176 RAM - iFixit

I upgraded my older Core Duo model to 2GB ram and 600GB hard drive (Its a little over 600GB forget exact size). Only things to remember about the older Core Solo and Core Duo models is that they are limited to 2GB memory (firmware limitation). The Core 2 Duo models can go to 4GB. Also you can't fit a 2.5 inch SATA hard drive bigger than 9mm thick (height). Other then that, upgrade away and have a party.
It's not all that hard for a technically inclined person, but the average user is not that type of person. You need a putty knife (with beveled edge), #00 Phillips head, and a spudger. It's also somewhat nerve wracking the first time you crack one open with all the cracking and popping. The three wires that run to the antennas are easy to pinch and the ribbon cable that connects the optical drive is fragile.