Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Epson V700/V750: Negative Carrier How-To?

I recently purchased a V700 for use scanning 120 and eventually 4x5 film. I like the scanner so far, but have yet to figure out a good way to load the 120 negative carrier. So far, the process is incredibly fussy. My problems include:
  • Alignment in carrier
  • Negatives "falling" out before I can snap them in
  • Bowing/sagging negatives (this is the big one)
Is there a magic secret to easily load the carrier with a minimum of sag?

Steve

(On pins and needles waiting for the good answers...hopefully ones that do not require additional purchase...)

05-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I recently purchased a V700 for use scanning 120 and eventually 4x5 film. I like the scanner so far, but have yet to figure out a good way to load the 120 negative carrier. So far, the process is incredibly fussy. My problems include:
  • Alignment in carrier
  • Negatives "falling" out before I can snap them in
  • Bowing/sagging negatives (this is the big one)
Is there a magic secret to easily load the carrier with a minimum of sag?

Steve

(On pins and needles waiting for the good answers...hopefully ones that do not require additional purchase...)
I typically but the negatives in the carriers with the bow facing up. As it happens, this is also Backwards so I have to correct it in post. I've not really been able to use these carriers any other way (35mm too). If I am not mistaken, you can buy AntiNewton (Sp?) glass inserts for the carriers to flatten the negatives but they will still be reversed. The scanner is a great machine but I don't think they gave much thought to the carriers themselves.

If I'm just doing One frame, I'll use one of the negative carriers from my Omega D5XL enlarger.

05-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Not affiliated with the company and never used the product, but ran across it when I was researching scanners. (and no, it's not the cheap answer, but thought I'd post it just in case)

Custom film holders for Agfa, Microtek, Canon and Epson film scanners.
05-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I have similar problems when I scan film on my 2450 flatbed. Like Jeff, I've found the best way is to scan the film upside down and then flop the file in post.

05-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Flatten the (wrapped) Negs with a good thick book(s) overnight before loading them.
I find you can reduce the chances of bowing quite a bit.
Otherwise +1 on Wheatfield's technique.
05-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I settled on the "upside-down" solution. This seems to work very well for 6x7. Both Vuescan and Silverfast support the mirror-image conversion at scan time. Epson Scan does not, but I found a menu item in Lightroom that does the flip in PP.

At some point, I will probably get a holder or mounting station from betterscanning.com.

Steve
05-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I also have the V700 and I find the negatives straighten out quite a bit when the carrier is snapped closed. I also make sure that one end of each negative strip is supported and locked down. At that point you can't touch them anymore even with air or antistaican wisk I know that this isn't offering a solution but when my negatives are supported on three sides they don't sag.