Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2010, 04:53 AM   #1

Help needed with Adobe Camera RAW 5.7 please

Hi all,
I bought a new laptop a couple of days ago. It runs Windows 7 64 Bit. I have installed my Photoshop 7 and everything runs fine. My problem is that I wanted to upgrade the Camera RAW to version 5.7 (which I have done successfully on my old laptop, running Vista) but when I try to run the 'Setup' file I get an error message because it is not 64 Bit. I have looked at the Adobe website but there doesn't seem to be a 64 bit version.
Can anyone help?
Thanks

05-23-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish I had an answer for you but I moved this to the Post Processing, and more importantly here, Software, Forum. Hopefully one of the many knowledgable people that come here will be able to help you.
05-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

You shouldn't be able to update camera raw past version 2.0 or thereabouts, so I'm surprised that you were able to run it in conjunction with PS7 at all.
I suspect that you will need to update your version of Photoshop to a 64 bit version (7 isn't) to get a 64 bit ACR to run.
05-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I wish I had an answer for you but I moved this to the Post Processing, and more importantly here, Software, Forum. Hopefully one of the many knowledgable people that come here will be able to help you.
Thanks Mel and sorry for posting it in the wrong place to begin with.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You shouldn't be able to update camera raw past version 2.0 or thereabouts, so I'm surprised that you were able to run it in conjunction with PS7 at all.
I suspect that you will need to update your version of Photoshop to a 64 bit version (7 isn't) to get a 64 bit ACR to run.
Thanks Wheatfield - Looks like I'll stay put with my version 7 then!

05-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Naim Khan Quote
Thanks Wheatfield - Looks like I'll stay put with my version 7 then!
If you can shoot DNGs with your camera, then PS7's converter will read them, and if you shoot PEF, Adobe has a free DNG converter that will take PEFs over to DNG format, which will then open in PS7's converter.
05-24-2010, 04:25 AM   #6

Original Poster
If you can shoot DNGs with your camera, then PS7's converter will read them, and if you shoot PEF, Adobe has a free DNG converter that will take PEFs over to DNG format, which will then open in PS7's converter.
You have done a vey successful job in confusing me now Wheatfield ! I use PEF and have no problem in opening them with PSE 7. What I was doing was to update the 'Camera RAW' to version 5.7.
Are you now telling me that I can/should do something else?
Thanks.
05-24-2010, 06:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Naim Khan Quote
You have done a vey successful job in confusing me now Wheatfield ! I use PEF and have no problem in opening them with PSE 7. What I was doing was to update the 'Camera RAW' to version 5.7.
Are you now telling me that I can/should do something else?
Thanks.
Your original post said Photoshop 7, this is not the same thing as Photoshop Elements 7. I was basing my answer on the information I had at hand, which was that you were working with a very old version of Photoshop.
Forget everything I've said on this thread because it isn't applicable to your situation (which I don't know how to resolve).
05-24-2010, 01:06 PM   #8

Original Poster
Your original post said Photoshop 7, this is not the same thing as Photoshop Elements 7. I was basing my answer on the information I had at hand, which was that you were working with a very old version of Photoshop.
Forget everything I've said on this thread because it isn't applicable to your situation (which I don't know how to resolve).
Oh yes - I see where I have gone wrong. Sorry about that - obviously I missed the 'Elements' which is an important element!
I'll drop a line to Adobe and see what they have to say.
Cheers