Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 157
Disappointed with Aperture 3

This is a bit of a rant, but I hope that someone can help me "like" Aperture 3, because right now I hate it. I was quite happy with Aperture 2 and my K100D. But then I upgraded to a K7 and Aperture 3. Man, is it S-L-O-W. I don't mean slow when using fancy features like brushes, but just navigating through folders is painfully slow. Auto enhance is slow, changing white balance is herky jerky, and if I try anything more complicated, I might as well walk away and do all my laundry. I turned off faces, but that didn't help. I'm using an iMac with a 2 Ghz Core Duo processor and 2 GB of RAM. Activity Monitor does not indicate that the computer is under any stress. Meanwhile, basic corrections that really helped by K100D photos come alive are now so laborious I find myself leaving things as they are because its just too much trouble. And it still won't sync correctly with my iPhone (a problem it shares with Aperture 2) - I always need to recreate the previews, which takes longer than ever. Can anyone offer some tips on making this system work?


Last edited by harmonica2; 05-23-2010 at 09:07 PM.
05-24-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: stockholm
Photos: Albums
Posts: 111
do you have Snow Leopard installed? It makes it a lot faster. But its still slower than v.2 on my MBP from 2008...
05-24-2010, 03:31 AM   #3
Senior Member
bigdog104's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Carolina
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 289
I don't use Aperture but I think I heard Scott Bourne mention, on his podcast, that to get Aperture 3 to install correctly you have to do a clean install. Dump your preferences list and start with a fresh library and re-import into that. I looked and couldn't find a reference to this, but seems to me the key was starting with a new library.
05-24-2010, 03:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 479
Aperture 3 is finicky when running on older hardware.

First things first: Install Snow Leopard if you don't already have it installed.

Then: Delete your Aperture 3 plist and make a fresh clean Aperture 3 library. Don't try to import an old Aperture 2 library.

Report back with how this helps.

05-24-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member
VaughnA's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,363
Make sure that faces is turned off as well.
05-24-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Syracuse, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,155
In addition to having Snow Leopard installed and turning off faces, make sure Aperture is upgraded to 3.0.3. Big improvements in speed in 3.0.3. Also, are you using a Core Duo or a Core 2 Duo. If you are using a Core Duo you are probably never going to get good performance as it is running in 32bit mode.
05-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 157
Original Poster
Thank you for the responses. I do in fact have Snow Leopard Installed, and I am running the latest version of Aperture. Unfortunately, my computer is a Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo), so if that's the problem, I may need to upgrade my hardware - which wasn't in my original budget. I have a Core 2 Duo laptop, so I'll test there. I can also attempt a clean install, but I'm afraid that will take a long time, or at least more than I have.
05-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,925
Turn of Faces. Makes a big difference.

05-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
Banned




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alberta
Posts: 218
QuoteOriginally posted by harmonica2 Quote
This is a bit of a rant, but I hope that someone can help me "like" Aperture 3, because right now I hate it. I was quite happy with Aperture 2 and my K100D. But then I upgraded to a K7 and Aperture 3. Man, is it S-L-O-W. I don't mean slow when using fancy features like brushes, but just navigating through folders is painfully slow. Auto enhance is slow, changing white balance is herky jerky, and if I try anything more complicated, I might as well walk away and do all my laundry. I turned off faces, but that didn't help. I'm using an iMac with a 2 Ghz Core Duo processor and 2 GB of RAM. Activity Monitor does not indicate that the computer is under any stress. Meanwhile, basic corrections that really helped by K100D photos come alive are now so laborious I find myself leaving things as they are because its just too much trouble. And it still won't sync correctly with my iPhone (a problem it shares with Aperture 2) - I always need to recreate the previews, which takes longer than ever. Can anyone offer some tips on making this system work?
YES DUMP aperture3 and go back to 2.Not only is 3 S L O W but mine kept crashing every time I blinked and yes I run snow leopard.It seems every time Apple releases an app to beat LR to the market you have to wait until upgrade 73 for it to work.
05-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Derridale's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 412
Interestingly, I have had zero problems with Aperture 3. I've been following the Aperture groups on Flickr, with all their problems, but mine is as smooth as silk.

Perhaps the difference is in the RAM - I'm running it on a 27" iMac with the i7 CPU, and 16 Gb of RAM. I also run it on a Macbook Pro, with 8 Gb of RAM.

Aperture 3 LOVES RAM. I occasionally get the spinning beach ball when I've applied several adjustments in quick succession and Aperture has to "catch up" so to speak, but it only ever lasts for a few seconds. And that is on DNG Raw files from my K20D - each file is about 24 Mb. I also have several plugins.

I run it in 64-bit mode most of the time, as Noise Ninja has been upgraded to 64-bit, and that is perhaps the plugin I use the most, so I don't need to flick out into 32-bit mode. But on the odd occasion I have had to do that - for Nik plugins, for example - I've not really noticed much of a speed difference between 32 and 64 bit.

Maybe it's just the RAM? I would think that 2 Gb is pushing the envelope a bit, maybe....
05-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Syracuse, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,155
QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
Interestingly, I have had zero problems with Aperture 3. I've been following the Aperture groups on Flickr, with all their problems, but mine is as smooth as silk.

Perhaps the difference is in the RAM - I'm running it on a 27" iMac with the i7 CPU, and 16 Gb of RAM. I also run it on a Macbook Pro, with 8 Gb of RAM.

Aperture 3 LOVES RAM. I occasionally get the spinning beach ball when I've applied several adjustments in quick succession and Aperture has to "catch up" so to speak, but it only ever lasts for a few seconds. And that is on DNG Raw files from my K20D - each file is about 24 Mb. I also have several plugins.

I run it in 64-bit mode most of the time, as Noise Ninja has been upgraded to 64-bit, and that is perhaps the plugin I use the most, so I don't need to flick out into 32-bit mode. But on the odd occasion I have had to do that - for Nik plugins, for example - I've not really noticed much of a speed difference between 32 and 64 bit.

Maybe it's just the RAM? I would think that 2 Gb is pushing the envelope a bit, maybe....
Aperture definitely loves RAM, but I use it on a mini with 2GB without many problems. It beach balls on occasion when applying a lot of retouch brushes in quick succession on large scans. You just have to be patient and let it work.

The problem with a Core Duo is that it is a 32bit chip, so you can only use 3GB of RAM. I would consider a 2GHz Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM to be the absolute minimum to run Aperture 3. It also helps to have a fast HD.
05-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 316
Hmm... you're running SL and you've updated to 3.03. I think you could up your RAM and that would make a difference.

Otherwise, there may be something funky with your updated library. Perhaps you should rebuild it: but of course be sure to have a back up of it first.

Press and hold Option + Command and launch Aperture by double clicking on the application icon, and then follow the prompts.

Perhaps leave it to rebuild overnight.

HTH; good luck.
05-25-2010, 02:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 479
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Aperture definitely loves RAM, but I use it on a mini with 2GB without many problems. It beach balls on occasion when applying a lot of retouch brushes in quick succession on large scans. You just have to be patient and let it work.

The problem with a Core Duo is that it is a 32bit chip, so you can only use 3GB of RAM. I would consider a 2GHz Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM to be the absolute minimum to run Aperture 3. It also helps to have a fast HD.
A good GPU is needed as well, especially when using brushes.
05-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Syracuse, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,155
QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
A good GPU is needed as well, especially when using brushes.
To use brushes you really need an OpenCL capable GPU. In other words, any Mac released early 2009 or later. 2008 for high-end Macs.

QuoteQuote:
OpenCL in Snow Leopard will initially be supported on the ATI Radeon HD 4850, ATI Radeon HD 4870 and NVIDIA's Geforce 8600M GT, GeForce 8800 GS, GeForce 8800 GT, GeForce 8800 GTS, Geforce 9400M, GeForce 9600M GT, GeForce GT 120, GeForce GT 130, GeForce GTX 285, Quadro FX 4800, and Quadro FX 5600.
Apple Aperture 3 and OpenCL
05-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
If this doesn’t work then you have too slow hardware, but until you do these steps don’t blame your computer or Aperture:

1) Update to 3.0.3

2) Go to the finder and move everything to the trash that is inside these folders:

Hard Drive/Library/Caches
Hard Drive/System/Library/Caches
Hard Drive/Users/(Your user)/Library/Caches

3) Also delete this file:
Hard Drive/Users/(Your user)/Preferences/com.apple.aperture.plist

Report back how it goes...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, k100d, photography, photoshop
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Really disappointed with KEH ChipB General Talk 7 05-10-2010 06:44 AM
disappointed in Adorama kiwao General Talk 16 03-03-2010 04:59 PM
50-135mm, disappointed and broke knochelbiter General Talk 5 10-21-2009 08:46 AM
Disappointed by the K7 dcreed Photographic Technique 45 05-26-2009 06:55 PM
disappointed nathancombs General Talk 16 05-24-2008 05:28 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:24 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top