Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can camera show a picture after post-processing?

I was just curious if anyone knows of a way so that after I alter a RAW picture file on Photoshop CS4 I can put it back on the memory card and have my Kx show the picture?

Currently if I alter any picture with photoshop (RAW or JPEG) and I save it as either a RAW or JPEG my Kx will not be able to preview it.

There might not be anyway to do this but I was just curious.

05-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Inactive Account

emm, never think of this before.
05-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

There's no such thing as "saving as RAW". When you process a RAW file, the changes are *never* saved back to the RAW file. So there's no chance in the world of any camera showing you changes made in RAW. However, if you save your changes in JPEG formt, then some cameras might be able to display those files. Other cameras might reject the image. Depends on the camera, and probably also whether your changes altered the dimensions of the image or anything else the camera cares about. You'd pretty much have to test it and see for yourself. Sounds like you've already done so, but I wouldn't rule ut the possibility that the K-x could do this with JPEG if you don't crop or resize the image, if you are sure to leave EXIF intact, if you put the image back in the right folder with a name the camera recognizes, etc.
05-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
There's no such thing as "saving as RAW". When you process a RAW file, the changes are *never* saved back to the RAW file. So there's no chance in the world of any camera showing you changes made in RAW. However, if you save your changes in JPEG formt, then some cameras might be able to display those files. Other cameras might reject the image. Depends on the camera, and probably also whether your changes altered the dimensions of the image or anything else the camera cares about. You'd pretty much have to test it and see for yourself. Sounds like you've already done so, but I wouldn't rule ut the possibility that the K-x could do this with JPEG if you don't crop or resize the image, if you are sure to leave EXIF intact, if you put the image back in the right folder with a name the camera recognizes, etc.
Actually CS4 lets me save as DNG (does that count as RAW?) and if I alter the DNG file at all my Kx will not recognize it and the same goes for JPEG. If I add clarity, saturation or anything (I leave the dimensions the same) it will not recognize it.

Now that I think about it, the file size does change when saving from a DNG to a JPEG, so maybe that's causing it. Oh well, its no big deal, just would like to be able to use my camera to show the pics I have taken post-processed.

05-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Actually CS4 lets me save as DNG (does that count as RAW?)
You can convert a file to DNG, but your changes are *not* saved as part of the RAW data. At most, the settings you used in ACR are stored as XMP metadata, so the next time ACR looks at the image, it can reapply those adjustments. But the RAW data itself is never ever modified. So the camera would be unlikely to be able to show you changes. Except that it occurs to me that ACR can be configured to save an update preview into that DNG file, and it's conceivable that the camera might simply display the preview instead of the RAW data. So it could still be worth playing with further.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 05-28-2010 at 10:12 AM.
05-28-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It does sound like there still might be a way. I'll keep trying, thanks for the info.
05-28-2010, 08:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Forgive me, but I'm wondering- what's the point of the exercise? Why do you need to view a PP'd image on your camera? If it is possible, and I'm betting it isn't, it would be much less painful to view the PP'd file as a jpg on a cell phone.

Just sayin'.
05-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The point of it is so that I can show people pictures without having to bring my laptop everywhere I go, pull it out and turn it on. I can just pull out my camera. I obviously would not ask the question with reason.

05-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Fair enough. I knew there was a reason for the question, I just couldn't fathom what it was.

I still think it would be less painful to view them on a cell phone/iPod type device that are better suited to viewing pictures on.

Good luck in your quest.
05-29-2010, 06:34 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Fair enough. I knew there was a reason for the question, I just couldn't fathom what it was.

I still think it would be less painful to view them on a cell phone/iPod type device that are better suited to viewing pictures on.

Good luck in your quest.
I think this advice makes the most sense. It's possible to load edited pictures to an SD card with a card reader. You could try this and see if the camera will read them. I find the camera screen too small myself. Many of the newer touch screen phones are large enough for viewing photos. I can understand not wanting to carry extra stuff around. I'll bet you already have a cell phone and with the fierce competition in the market right now, the prices are pretty good if you need a new one.
05-29-2010, 06:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

agreed, i quite often load up my pp'd images onto my smartphone (3.7inch AMOLED screen) and its quick and easy to do and looks great to show people when your out and about.
06-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
you'll need to find yourself some software to convert your images to dcf-compliant jpegs.
06-17-2010, 09:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
There's no such thing as "saving as RAW". When you process a RAW file, the changes are *never* saved back to the RAW file. So there's no chance in the world of any camera showing you changes made in RAW.
Just some thinking:
Camera does not convert from RAW each time you view picture, taken in RAW. It shows jpeg, embedded into RAW. Update that embedded jpeg with processed version and camera will display processed picture. Am I wrong?
06-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #14
Pentaxian

You are probably right, as I acknowledged in my followup post on DNG (the only RAW format that easily allows for previews to be updated).