Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How to batch rename files after files imported and tagged in Photoshop Elements

Today I imported a whole bunch of files into PSE and after a good 2 hours of tagging, keywording, rating, etc....i discovered i made a mistake while renaming the filenames before i imported these into PSE.

I have been wrestling with PSE the past hour or so (including google searching) but for the life of me I just could not figure out a way to batch rename the files. I just want to add the suffix "_Original" to the end of the filenames.

While PSE allows me to manually rename each and every photo using the "Properties - General" sidebar, I don't think that is a solution for me as I just do not want to do this file renaming one file at a time...I have abt 850 files to rename

Please help. Thanks in advance.

05-30-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are plenty of free downloads to do batch file renames. If you searched something like "file batch renamer free download" and don't find any then your internet connection is down. I can recommend at least one if you don't find what you want.
05-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you still don't have what you need, I just looked up the one I am in love with. Free and does everything. Link below takes you right to it.

Flexible Renamer

05-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Do be careful that if you rename with a program other than Elements, you might lose the keywording work you've done. Unless you've made sure the info is written into the files themselves. Not sure how Elements does things, but I did want to caution you before you rush into anything.

05-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the help.

I finally managed to do it this morning. This is how I did it. In PSE, I click the "write keywords to files" thingy so that all the DNG and JPG files are saved with the keywords, ratings, etc.

After this is done, I delete the files from PSE catalogue. Then I rename the files using Total Commander and re-import into PSE. PSE will ask if I want to use the keywords previously saved in the files...click yes and we are done! I am happy now
03-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
Banned

I would like to suggest you a program called "KrojamSoft BatchRenameFiles Tool"
BatchRenameFiles.org