Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Calibrating Dell U2311H and Dell 2209WA

Hi,

I now have 2 of these monitors hook up to my box using the same video card, the U2311H on a DVI connection and the 2209WA on a VGA connection.

The think i observed is that the Dell 2311 appears to have much better contrast (or maybe it is called dynamic range) than the 2209, i.e. i am able to see the details of some images which are slightly darker while on the 2209wa, the details are not that apparent.

My wife feels that the 2209 has better colour saturation than the 2311 and i must say i agree with her.

So now I am looking to calibrate both monitors to get the same image to look the same on both monitors....i hope this is possible?

I googled and STF and while there are plenty of threads that talk about this...i am still lost

Do I really need a spyder 3 or eye-one device for LCD calibration? Or I can use software quickgamma and the like for the job?

I tried quickgamma yesterday and I can say that the "perfect" setting for each monitor will still not display the same image the same way.

Suggestions please?

Thanks
raider

06-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I found out that I can use my Spyder2express to calibrate two monitors (LCD plus laptop display) but only because Windows 7 supports individual profiles attached to each monitor. It's my understanding that Mac OS X can do it too.

I basically calibrate one monitor, save the profile, then switch monitors via the control panel, calibrate the second one, and save that profile. I then manually assign the calibrated profiles to the appropriate monitors. I still use one monitor as my primary editing tool. I just want the other monitor to be close enough so when I look at my contact sheets in Lightroom, that I get a decent idea of what I'm looking at.

FYI - I looked at the specs on both monitors and the Dell 2311 has a much higher dynamic contrast ratio, smaller pixel pitch, much higher optimal resolution than the 2209WA. You might be able to calibrate both monitors independently, but you might never be able to make both images look the same on both monitors.
06-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Using two different monitors is a recipe for a nightmare unless youre ready to spend a fortune on calibration, wide gamut monitors and learning how to softproof.

I have a dell on DVI and not being able to set contrast is annoyoing.
06-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

At least both of yours are eIPS screens. You'll likely never get them looking absolutely identical, but with proper hardware calibration you should be able to get them really close.
I have an S-PVA screen and a TN screen. They never look even remotely the same no matter what I do.

06-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all your replies.

What software would you recommend to do the colour/gamma calibration? Tips and tricks please?
06-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm using an Eye One, but I think any of them will do a good job.
What operating system are you using?
06-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am running windows 7. video card is using radeon 4350 chipset.

06-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote
I found out that I can use my Spyder2express to calibrate two monitors (LCD plus laptop display) but only because Windows 7 supports individual profiles attached to each monitor. It's my understanding that Mac OS X can do it too.

I basically calibrate one monitor, save the profile, then switch monitors via the control panel, calibrate the second one, and save that profile. I then manually assign the calibrated profiles to the appropriate monitors. I still use one monitor as my primary editing tool. I just want the other monitor to be close enough so when I look at my contact sheets in Lightroom, that I get a decent idea of what I'm looking at.
Got a link to how to do that? I've always been under the impression that the Spyder2Express (well, the software), only allows you to calibrate one screen per computer. It'd be great if I could use my Spyder2express to calibrate my dual screen win7 setup.
06-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You are correct, the Spyder2Express software can only do one profile at a time.

Here's how to do it in WinXP - not much fun, but doable.
The Adobe Photoshop Layers Book - Dual Monitor Calibration (on the Cheap) with Spyder Express

Here's how to do it in Mac OS X
How to cheat the single monitor limit on a Spyder2express monitor calibrator on OS X - Jason Burns’ Blog

I can't find the guide for Win7. The process is similar to the process in WinXP but only as far as calibrating and saving/renaming the color profile (ICM file). Win7's color profile chooser makes the task much simpler though - Once you save and rename both calibration profiles, go to Win7's Color Management control panel and assign the proper calibrated profile to each monitor in the Device drop down.
06-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is a great tip!!

1 question springs to my mind. The monitor only has certain hardware settings relevant to the accuracy of colours - namely sharpness, brightness, contrast, R, G and B.

Does the Spyder3 offer more settings apart from these to tune the monitor or just play around with the hardware settings to achieve colour accuracy?

Last edited by raider; 06-03-2010 at 10:09 PM.
06-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple of things to consider
A better calibrator, such as the Eye One Match, whicle being more expensive, will save you a lot of hassle in the long run because it offers dual monitor support.
It may be worth the money just for that alone.

Also, not knowing which version of Win 7 you are running, and not caring about any version other than the one I am running, Win7 Ultimate does offer a built in monitor calibration routine (visual), which while not as accurate as a hardware calibration device, would certainly be accurate enough for a secondary monitor that is used primarily for web surfing and tool palettes.
Also, if you are running pretty such any version of Photoshop (Elements included, I expect) prior to CS5, you probably have a little applet called Adobe Gamma sitting resident in your computer.
This can wreak havoc with colour calibration, since it can conflict with device calibration.
I haven't been able to find it on my machine, but I just did a fresh hard drive install/OS install and I never did put CS4 onto the drive, opting instead to just install CS5.
06-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Wheatfield.

I am using windows 7 ultimate and yes I am aware there is a colour management tool buried within the advance settings of the "screen resolution" dialog box.

I chk my PSE7's directory and there is no AdobeGamma.exe (I read about it though) but since i am using quickgamma now (will get rid of this when i get a good calibrator), I did not pay much attention to the Adobe one.

I am looking to get a calibrator now...it does seem like an indispensable item
06-19-2010, 02:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have the Spyder3 now and calibrated both the U2311H and 2209WA.

While the adjusted colour/contrast/etc is much better than the original factory default settings, i can never get both the IPS panel to look the same in terms of colour and contrast.

Is this normal? I hope there is nothing wrong with my units. Pls help.
06-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

You will never get them looking identical. Don't worry about it.
06-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Wheatfield. That's a relief.