Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aperture: to pre-install or not?

Well, the folks at Mac Forums don't seem too keen on answering this rather simple and perhaps dumb question, but is there any advantage to buying Aperture separately instead of having it "pre-installed" on a new Mac? For example, would this allow me to install it on more than on Mac?

If there's no advantage in this regard, I guess I'll save about $20 and get it pre-installed, but I'd like user feedback to help me with this decision.

06-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Get it preinstalled. You'll save money and as long as you have your key, you can always download a new copy (if you need one) and re-register. Not much of a value having another empty box with useless instructions lying around.........
06-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
Closed Account

Original Poster
Thanks, Ari. So I'm assuming then that owning the boxed version means you can still only install on one computer, am I correct?
06-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You can install it on two computers (I have it on my Macbook Pro and on my iMac 27") BUT you can only RUN it on one at a time.

So, if the two computers are connected via a LAN (wireless or otherwise) Aperture will detect that there is already a copy with that serial number running on the LAN and won't let you run the second instance.

However (cough, cough) if you turn off the Airport on the Macbook, and if it's not connected vie Ethernet, then the iMac copy doesn't know, does it?

It's all a bit silly really - if you're allowed two installations, why not allow them to be running simultaneously? For example, my wife and I may want to do separate Aperture sessions at the same time - why do we need to take one machine offline in order to do that? Silly!

06-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
Closed Account

Original Poster
As much as I love Apple, things like this leave me shaking my head. Thanks for clarifying.
06-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
You can install it on two computers (I have it on my Macbook Pro and on my iMac 27") BUT you can only RUN it on one at a time.

So, if the two computers are connected via a LAN (wireless or otherwise) Aperture will detect that there is already a copy with that serial number running on the LAN and won't let you run the second instance.

However (cough, cough) if you turn off the Airport on the Macbook, and if it's not connected vie Ethernet, then the iMac copy doesn't know, does it?

It's all a bit silly really - if you're allowed two installations, why not allow them to be running simultaneously? For example, my wife and I may want to do separate Aperture sessions at the same time - why do we need to take one machine offline in order to do that? Silly!
This is not unique to Apple. Newer versions of Adobe software works the same way as does Microsoft Office.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365
06-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another point to consider - if you buy it separately (i.e. it's a boxed copy of Aperture) and decide you don't like it you can still sell it. Difficult to do that with a download!