Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom 3 - still the same bug...

I just tried the new LR 3 and I'm baffled to find that the same bug I had since LR 2 came out is still there!

The bug: right-click stops working after a while (I'd say 1-2h of work). I'm using Windows 7 x64.

Does other people have noticed this issue?

06-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ya might check your mouse driver. I have not run into any issues in LR2 or LR3 but have had probs with a mouse driver affecting other apps. In my case reverting to an older driver worked. It is equally possible that a newer driver might exist for your mouse.

I am running Win7 x64 Ultimate and no issues but I am running a driver that is one oe two generations out of date.
06-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
I am running Win7 x64 Ultimate and no issues but I am running a driver that is one oe two generations out of date.
The strange thing maybe is that I had the same issues on Vista x64... Maybe I'll try to install the Intellimouse software, but that one was crashing CS4...
06-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Did you use the driver CD that came with the application or did you just let Windows do its thing?

If you were having issues with the Intellimouse software, get the latest 64 bit version for Win 7 here:
Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Hardware - Download Software

Just make sure you uninstall any old versions and reboot to make sure you clear up any left-overs.

06-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
The strange thing maybe is that I had the same issues on Vista x64... Maybe I'll try to install the Intellimouse software, but that one was crashing CS4...
Hope it works...and like I mentioned sometimes you need to roll back to an older version. I know it's counter-intuitive but it works far more often than ya would think. Plus you almost never lose any special functions for the mouse.

Also, you can always fallback to the default generic mouse driver that comes with Windows. It simply takes some experiments as well as overcoming the desire to grab that furry thing by the tail and bash it against the fireplace or see if it likes living in the blender...

And as George Lama said, it could also be an issue of there being an even newer version.

I would add one last thing. I have a vertical market app I use every day and a number of years back it was doing something similar to your problem...just locking up and splatting out a nonsense error code. After a quick email to the developer he was well aware of the issue. Wanna know what it was? All that needed done was to disable the icon in the system tray. Once that was disabled the thing has run fine for the past 7-8 yrs now. Weirdly enough it was not specific to any brand of mouse.

I am sure this has been tried somewhere on other LR specific forums but still, it's so often some silly issue like this. But do let us know what happens as there are a bunch of folks here who still work in "the biz" for a living compared to old semi-retired guys like me...
06-14-2010, 05:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I just tried the new LR 3 and I'm baffled to find that the same bug I had since LR 2 came out is still there!

The bug: right-click stops working after a while (I'd say 1-2h of work). I'm using Windows 7 x64.

Does other people have noticed this issue?
No. However I am using Lightroom on Mac OS X.
06-14-2010, 06:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i'm using Windows 7X64 with a logitech revolution MX5500 bluetooth mouse and keyboard set, alongside a Wacom intuos 4 8"X13" tablet. I have never had this issue, it sounds like it is hardware/driver related.

06-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree especially with the comment by the OP that it takes a while for the lock-up to happen. A drive issue related to garbage collection/memory leak could be the cause. And since it has been happening for a while and with previous versions of LR for the OP that is where I would start searching were I the OP. Or just rolling back to either an earlier brand specific driver for the mouse might help.

Also, as I mentioned, I use a vertical market app I use that ran into issues if the system tray icon was left enabled. Once you turned off showing the icon in the system tray, the whole prob disappeared. The head developer and I worked on that one for a while and it was only via elimination that we decided it was something in the MS code that polled the system tray icon and not related to the video sub-system. BTW, eventually that issue was resolved by some Win update, we never did figure out when, where or why...at which point we stopped caring!! hehehehe...

I don't remember is anyone suggested to the OP that one test might be to use the Windows generic mouse/trackpad driver to see if the issue goes away. Also, the OP might try uninstalling the associated software and just leaving the brand specific driver to see what happens.

Man, it's times like this when I do not miss the consulting game...of course it pays well...hehehehe...HEY....

Could the OP install MS Virtual PC then setup a clean Win7 x64 install in that virtual machine to see if the issue persists with just Win7 x64 and LR3 installed? That would at least confirm it is something between the OS and LR...if that runs OK, just keep installing other apps until it breaks in the virtual environment. I mean as a last resort sort of thing. MSVPC is free now and you can even setup an XP virtual machine to go with a true XP Mode while you are at it...then the OP would have an XP Virtual mode setup and also create the clean Win7 VM (making a copy of course so to create a new one all that needs done is to kill the broken one... )

EDIT:

here is the link to a turnkey install of Win VPC and XP Mode under Win7 x64:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

it is really a no brainer setup...of course to run the XP mode it took me a good three hours because I went ahead and let the virtual XP machine install ALL it's updates...yeah, I was really bored...hehehehe...

Last edited by brecklundin; 06-15-2010 at 06:55 PM.
04-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #9

Estou com o problema. Meia hora de trabalho o lado direito para de funcionar. Windows 7 Ultimate X86 com mouse Wireless Presenter 9000 da Microsoft.
04-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Using Win7 x64 Professional here with a Logitech G500 mouse, and no issues with Lightroom. So, I would have to agree with everyone else that it's likely to be a driver issue.
04-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Same issue with me, from LR2 ~ 3.4 RC. Works fine for a while and then lose the RMB. I just shut down and restart and keep going but it can get annoying.
04-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have never had this issue, and I have had many stretches of editing that lasted longer than 2 hrs... I think it is likely your mouse driver.
04-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Random suggestion but might work anyway: try unplugging your mouse and plugging it in to a different usb slot
04-11-2011, 12:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

My suggestion is to remove all your USB mouse devices, including the hidden and ghost ones and then remove and reinstall the mouse drivers. The following article explains how to make ghost devices visible:

Device Manager does not display devices that are not connected to the Windows XP-based computer
04-13-2011, 11:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

No issues with LR3.x on Win 7 64 bit. I've gone on editing stints lasting 2-3 hours, walking away and coming back 5 hours later to continue working a couple more hours and not once has right-clicking caused issues.

I'd suggest trying the suggestion to unplug/replug when the mouse acts up.