Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2010, 06:09 AM   #1

K7 and Lightroom 3 - Win Win

I was recently shooting this gig with local bands playing and brought my K7 and Tamron 17-50 2.8 along. After snapping som testshots i realized that using ISO1600 that I usually do at concerts wasn't good enough. The lighting was so poor that I had to crank it up to 3200 to get descent shutter speeds.

Back at the computer I imported everything into Lightroom 3 and after a couple of minutes of tweaking I was really surprised. The new noise removing algorithm (both luminance and color) is really really good.

I love my K7 but have ever since I got it been a little pissed that I can't really use anything higher than ISO1600 because of the noise - but now I feel that I won't hesitate to crank it up even higher, because L3 can handle it so well.

Unfortunately I have nowhere to upload some samples for you to see, but I just wanted to share this experience with you!

06-16-2010, 06:28 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Download a trial version of Denoise 4.2 and see if you like it as well. When used with LR3 it seem to be making 3200 look like 800.
06-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just a point of information. I have Photoshop CS5 and using the included Adobe Camera Raw you get the same noise reduction as Lightroom. If you already use Photoshop you don't need Lightroom to access the excellent NR tools. Lightroom just puts a different front end on ACR.

I like DeNoise and in really marginal photos It can do a slightly better job than ACR 6. However it's much, much slower.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365