Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2007, 03:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Helicon Focus Software for macrophotography

Just wanted to tell you that I have found a software which might help macrophotographers. It is called Helicon Focus. The link is below:
Helicon Soft: Helicon Focus

I have tried it a few minutes ago by taking three pictures of my watch which was sitting on the table. The aperture was at F/8. I have focused the closer part of the wrist collar first, then the watch itself and finally to the far part of the collar. The software treated them like the autostitch software for panoramas and within a minute or two produced a sharper sum of the three! The background does seem cluttered and it is, at least in part, my fault.

This is a trial version of the shareware software and I am not thinking of buying it because I shoot macros only occasionally. They also sell a photo editing program which seems to aim at "non computer geek" users.

One final note: I have no relations with the company.

Last edited by bc_the_path; 08-15-2007 at 03:21 AM.
08-10-2007, 03:49 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Ive heard of this one before, and seen some impressive bug macros taken with it.

A question, apart from the increased sharpness of the watch, did the OOF background get changed at all when you combined the 3 images? ie: did u get some more noise there
08-10-2007, 03:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, the noise gets higher.

Yes.
Apart from that caused by a slight camera shake (no tripod was present), the background became very noisy.
However, I thought (though, did not try) that it could be removed by either a selective blurring or de-noising operation.
08-10-2007, 04:23 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

i guess u can just take the background from one of the 3 and blend that in

08-10-2007, 04:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sounded like a good idea and I tried it.
But, no; the noise decreased only slightly and the border of the background removal operation turned into a white line...
Post processing still sounds better.