Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2010, 10:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tlwyse Quote
I'm using a K20D as well but I've been in the habit of using DNGs from the camera and not PEF (I've never warmed up to the Pentax supplied raw conversion software). I also use a MacBookPro running OS 10.6.4.

My beef with using raw/PEF/DNG with Photomatix is that it does an "as-is" conversion from the raw data with none of the white balance or exposure corrections that have been saved to the DNG from either ACR or Lightroom. Using the "As-shot" white balance bothers me especially as that is the first thing I do once I grab the DNGs from the camera (I'm one of those anal types that includes both a Robin Myers gray card and a Macbeth color checker in the scene before I start shooting).

As far as the de-mosaicing of the raw in Photomatix, I'll confess that I haven't looked at it all that closely but maybe I should. I did some tests some time last year between the Pentax raw conversion software, Aperture and Lightroom2 and actually that the ACR/Lightroom conversion in terms of artifacts was inferior to the others (you have to enlarge 200-300% to see the diff)....but at the end of the day, the better workflow of LR trumped the others in my opinion. I could see going to Aperture but their limitation of using only AdobeRGB as their internal working space I found unacceptable.

Perhaps I should go back and try some raws/DNGs in Photomatix again and compare the results.

Terry
That makes sense if you are doing color corrections in ACR before running the images through Photomatix. BTW, the new raw conversion in Lightroom 3/ACR 6 is much improved.

I don't color correct before HDR processing but throw the images back into ACR afterwards. I've generally found that Photomatix shifts the colors in tone mapping. I'll have to run some tests to see if I can tell the difference.

I've tried working with ProRGB but after adjusting for my printer's out of gamut color range, I just can't get better prints than I can with AdobeRGB. I suppose that I should just spend the money on toner and practice more.

07-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've always liked the program Enfuse (find it here). It's pretty simple, but you'll have to find a GUI to use with it. It blends on the pixel level by evaluating exposure, saturation, and quality of focus instead of tone maps. Along with blending 3 - 5 shots, it can be used to combine shots with different focal planes for a larger DOF. Here's a really bad example of Enfuse that I tried to force (the light was way too crazy being in a valley and all):
07-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Das Boot, Enfuse certainly looks interesting, though I'm not willing to use a command line program that gives me no visual control.
07-03-2010, 05:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

With enfusegui, it's really a transparent process. You would never know the difference.

07-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote
With enfusegui, it's really a transparent process. You would never know the difference.
Thanks for the tip. I downloaded EnfuseGUI last night and played with it for a couple of hours. I agree, it does process HDR images that don't look like HDR.

The program produced a very even histogram, too even. Like the bridge image you shared they were all flat. The RGB histogram was too even as were the histograms for the individual channels. Saturation and contrast were lacking. I did manage to figure out how to recover some of the shadows, but I did not find the results attractive.
07-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
The program produced a very even histogram, too even. Like the bridge image you shared they were all flat. The RGB histogram was too even as were the histograms for the individual channels. Saturation and contrast were lacking. I did manage to figure out how to recover some of the shadows, but I did not find the results attractive.
You're right. I found it looks better to put untouched images into enfuse and then massage the output. Another thing about the output is the sharpness... it appears to use the multiple images to enhance the edges without halos.
07-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote
You're right. I found it looks better to put untouched images into enfuse and then massage the output. Another thing about the output is the sharpness... it appears to use the multiple images to enhance the edges without halos.
You're right. It does seem to sharpen the images.