Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2006, 04:01 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
File size

OK - some of you digital processing experts - help me out.
How do I manipulate files such that I can have more control over
file size?
I have the following tools:
Normal stuff that comes with WinXP
Nikon View (left over from my P&S)
Pentax Photo Browser and Labratory (limited package that came with camera)
I figured out how to manipulate RAW images to some extent and to convert them to the 5 levels of jpeg compression that the photo lab software allows.
What I don't know how to do is to be able to specify a size in xy coordinates. Also I don't know how to specify a size in bytes.
With the 5 levels that are offered, I get what I get.
Even the smallest seems to come out to several hundred K.
Is this something I have to find a better tool to do?

11-29-2006, 08:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leaton Quote
OK - some of you digital processing experts - help me out.
How do I manipulate files such that I can have more control over
file size?
I have the following tools:
Normal stuff that comes with WinXP
Nikon View (left over from my P&S)
Pentax Photo Browser and Labratory (limited package that came with camera)
I figured out how to manipulate RAW images to some extent and to convert them to the 5 levels of jpeg compression that the photo lab software allows.
What I don't know how to do is to be able to specify a size in xy coordinates. Also I don't know how to specify a size in bytes.
With the 5 levels that are offered, I get what I get.
Even the smallest seems to come out to several hundred K.
Is this something I have to find a better tool to do?
hi Leaton

I wish I could help you out, but I don't know anything about that software.
maybe you should download a trial of photoshop elements or if you think it is for you, a trial of photoshop cs2
then I will be able to guide you through the in's and out's of file compression, and getting exactly the size of file you want.

good luck

randy
11-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Resizing JPEGS

Try IrfanView or Google "JPEG Resizer" for a long list of free, shareware and commercial JPEG manipulators. A word of note: you cannot pick a final size for a JPEG-it is an 'on-the-fly' compression algorithm. One specifies some percentage and the work begins--there isn't even a real one-to-one correspondence between % and file size. Often one must resize at several different '% compressions' to get the size one wants-it's fast so typically not a problem.
11-29-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks jfdavis58 - That is just my price -free.
Photoshop may be the deluxe way to go, but has a deluxe price too!

11-29-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you want to optimize your photos for internet viewing (and minimize the filesize), just go to file>save for web in photoshop. It trims a lot off the filesize without affecting quality.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-29-2006, 02:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
If you want to optimize your photos for internet viewing (and minimize the filesize), just go to file>save for web in photoshop. It trims a lot off the filesize without affecting quality.

thanks Mo

a couple of things to add to that:
once the save for the web opens, you can acually set the exact file size you want the output to be.

Also, using the save for the web option doesn't send the EXIF tag with your photo

cheers
11-29-2006, 06:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Uhhh,

We all need to get on the same page here.

"leaton" doesn't appear to own a copy of Photoshop; and from the message to me, doesn't seem willing to acquire it due to cost.

Technically he wants to size by horizontal and vertical dimension AND by final file size. This is not possible with JPEG compressors and Photoshop doesn't do it; nor does any other photo/graphic editor.

Photoshop does allows a '% compression' and a 'resize dimensionally' (x, y/height, width)-on the Image size tab in the Save for web dialog; it does not allow one to specify the final file size in (m)(k)bytes. The nature of JPEG compression doesn't allow for a target 'file size' parameter or specification.

There is a fairly linear relationship between % compression and final output file size except near the 100% end (within about 10% points). Plotting file size vs % compression will reveal a near logarithmic response in the aforementioned region. It is just this response that makes JPEGs so attractive; at 9n% compression a significant decrease in file size is realized without significant loss in IQ.